Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power tools in the Kitchen?

Power tools in the Kitchen?

Hello everyone,

I was looking for some cookies today and could not find any in the house. How hard can it be to bake cookies? I like peanut butter cookies, I thought I would give making them a try. Turns out, it is a lot more work than I thought. If I had baked before, I might have been able to deduce that the recipe was sized to make four thousand cookies and I could have reduced it. I do remember watching my Mom make cookies when I was a young boy, and only when it was too late did I realize I should have mixed the butter and sugar first and not added the butter last. I broke the wooden spoon trying to mix the butter with the peanut butter, sugar and eggs. I got out Katarina’s toy mixer, but it has no torque and was starting to give off a funny smell. I was running through my mind what power tools I had that could help with this. My DeWALT 300 RPM mixer drill was out on loan and my mortar mixing paddle would take too long to clean anyway. Probably for the best, the mortar paddle was not stainless steel, and who wants yellow paint in their cookies. I found my Makita cordless drill. I blew it off with the compressor and wiped it down. The mixer paddle was easy to chuck in the drill. I was able to keep the RPM low and after trying unsuccessfully to mix in the butter by hand for 15 minutes, I had it mixed in about three minutes. Since the mixture was quite thick, I also used it to mix in the flour and other dry ingredients.

I filled the baking pan a number of times, and when all was said and done, instead of trimming windows today, I spent 5 hours baking cookies. It would have been slightly shorter if I had made sure I had all the ingredients before I started and didn’t have to run to Mom’s for “Magic Baking Powder”.

I took a couple containers of cookies to my folks tonight for them and my sisters’ family. I will be taking bags of them to work for the next little bit, so free cookies will be on the counter at Fed Tool for the next several years.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Just think. If you had a small cement mixer.......

you could run them thru your planer to get them all the same thickness too .

For a more varied offering, you could drill them with a 1" spade bit to have low-profile donuts.

BobV

PB cookies... one of may favs!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I think they also would look good after a roundover with the router.
    Great story.......
    Wishes-
    When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor

yeah, just remember to RELEASE THE TRIGGER before you lick the mixing paddle.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Nice save. But don't let your wife know you did this. She will crack your noggin.

Tim Taylor would approve!

Now thats how you mix cookie batter *ug ug grunt grunt*
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elmer View Post
    Just think. If you had a small cement mixer.......
    I would co-opt my wife's Kitchenaid to mix up some grout if I thought I could clean it well enough afterward. That thing is unfazed by anything.

My wife borrowed my dremel tool to remove some callouses on her feet after I pointed out that the whizbang callous remover tool we were seeing on TV was way more expensive. It worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    yeah, just remember to RELEASE THE TRIGGER before you lick the mixing paddle.

Too cool!!!!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    My wife borrowed my dremel tool to remove some callouses on her feet after I pointed out that the whizbang callous remover tool we were seeing on TV was way more expensive. It worked great.
    Did you know that professional nail people use dremels?

Never used a power tool in the kitchen, but needlenose pliers ought to be a standard in the kitchen drawer... I also have a special 1" cheapo chisel that has been washed for the sole purpose of breaking up chocolate when I'm doing large quantities of filled chocolates.

I also seem to remember Alton Brown using a pepper grinder that had been fitted to a cordless drill. For when you need lots of fresh ground pepper...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    you could run them thru your planer to get them all the same thickness too .
    you would have to joint them flat first!