Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your recommendations on a quality counter sink set

Tapered Snappy it is... added 2 Bessy 40" to reach free shipping threshold and were back in business!

Thanks Creek!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Tapered Snappy it is... added 2 Bessy 40" to reach free shipping threshold and were back in business!

Thanks Creek!
    Another happy ending!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    I prefer the all-in-one types that have an integral, tapered drill bit inside a counter-sink cutter. The Home Despot sells a Dewalt set that includes 3 bits - a #12, a #10 and a #8. They're a fair bit more than the made-with-slave-labor Wolfcraft that I used to use, but they're very high quality. They're about $24 for the set with quick-drive attachment.
    "They're a fair bit more than the made-with-slave-labor Wolfcraft that I used to use"...

Of all the counter-sinks I have used I like the Wolfcraft with the tapered bits. Different strokes I suppose. But... I am very curious as to how you know that Wolfcraft counter-sinks are made with "slave labor"? If that is the case... I would indeed re-consider my purchase of any Wolfcraft.

Sarge..

Though Dewey has all ready made his decision,
    I should point out that the LV is a Fuller set.
    That goes for the rest of the high end house sets.
    Green Box = Fuller
    Just saying.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    These are not cheap but as I replace the cheap current ones I have this is what I am going with.

http://www.garrettwade.com/countersi.../p/08G01ddd11/

At one time I found another set that had a non-marking stop but I can not find them now.

Now those look like a nice New Years gift for myself

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson View Post
    Though Dewey has all ready made his decision,
    I should point out that the LV is a Fuller set.
    That goes for the rest of the high end house sets.
    Green Box = Fuller
    Just saying.

Per
    Per and all,
    I have made a second decision....

I am also buying the LV set Per posted as I believe it is the highest quality and that is what I am after.

Like some here would agree I do my fair share of quality work but also spent most of the summer working on a landscape project that included a shed a walkway and cut / drilled through tons of PT lumber. Now I will have a SUPER FINE set for fine woodworking and a really great set for everything else. Sometimes we just can't get the best and the most practical tool to fit every job.

Thanks Per.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Mescher View Post
    Basically it is standard for most wood screws. Now, I understand that alot of metric versions have 90 degrees.Clifford
    Thanks Cliff, I have several different angle countersinks from my metal workings, and wasn't sure.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Fuller = quality

I like Per's LV set best BUT it doesn't have a quick change which I have grown used to. Any additional thoughts?

I dont use a quick change setup. I keep the countersink/drill chucked in my cordless drill motor, and the driver for the screw in my Bosch 10.8 V driver. Two tools vs one, but just as fast, imo.

Since there was no reply to my question of "how do you know that Wolfcraft counter-sinks are made with slave labor" I will shed some light without one as to anyone who might be considering them just so you know without assuming.....

Wolfcraft is a German company which I knew.. the counter-sinks are made in Germany and this is stamped on them. The Dewalt package of 3 mentioned is stamped Made in China or the U.S.A. with made in China listed first. I looked yesterday while at the BORG.

So.. draw your own conclussion of whether there is slave labor in Germany and where the DeWalts are actually made?

11. Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Since there was no reply to my question of "how do you know that Wolfcraft counter-sinks are made with slave labor" I will shed some light without one as to anyone who might be considering them just so you know without assuming.....

Wolfcraft is a German company which I knew.. the counter-sinks are made in Germany and this is stamped on them. The Dewalt package of 3 mentioned is stamped Made in China or the U.S.A. with made in China listed first. I looked yesterday while at the BORG.

So.. draw your own conclussion of whether there is slave labor in Germany and where the DeWalts are actually made?
    Thank you John for clarifying that fact. I am a firm believer in correcting things as rumors spread fast through cyber space. Clifford.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    Thanks Cliff, I have several different angle countersinks from my metal workings, and wasn't sure.

Al
    Your welcome,Al. Sometimes I will countersink my hardware with 82 degree so it just cleans up, just to make sure it seats right.Clifford.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Mescher View Post
    Thank you John for clarifying that fact. I am a firm believer in correcting things as rumors spread fast through cyber space. Clifford.
    Yeah they do it seems, Cliff.... or at least my experience from posting on various forums for 6-7 years.

Sarge..

Yep,
    INow I am ready for maybe a tapered set (but not stuck on anything) ??? Any thoughts?
    Hi Dewey
    I have a mixed collection of counter sink bits, most of which rest peacefully in one of those drawers where old drill bits go to die. I’m not sure who manufactures the ones that are still functional and in regular use, but I can suggest some things to look for when you make your choice:

First and foremost: Choose bits with a hex shank’
    Second, make sure you buy bits with the largest possible set screw;
    Third, the best design is where the countersink is an integral part of the hex shank shaft.

Home Depot used to carry the Wolf Craft brand of tapered countersinks that met requirements one and two (above) but that had very tiny and wimpy set screws for the bit itself that pretty often stripped the threads. The upside was that they were fairly long lasting, they were available individually AND in sets and there was a ready supply of tapered bits for reasonable prices.

Now Rockler has a 3 piece set that looks intriguing. They are not “low budget” by any means ($ 55 for a 3 piece set) but they seem to be worth looking at. Here is the link
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=18013

Rick
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hubbard View Post
    Hi Dewey

First and foremost: Choose bits with a hex shank’
    Second, make sure you buy bits with the largest possible set screw;
    Third, the best design is where the countersink is an integral part of the hex shank shaft.

Of all the things to look for in a countersink setup, this really doesnt play into my list at all. I wonder why it is your first and foremost requirement?

Al