Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress on the new shop: insulation/drywall

Progress on the new shop: insulation/drywall

My shop is too big! OK. That's the last time you'll hear that. Though the work continues it seems slow! There's just a lot to do. I had the week off from work. It has been nice. Most of the insulation is done on the lower level. For now, I've just sealed off the attic room. I love insulation! Though temperatures have been in the 20's and 30's a very small fire in the woodstove keeps the place nice and comfy. Sheetrock is installed on 90% of the shop ceiling. The ceiling in the storage area is yet to be done. Most of the ceiling was a two-person effort, with the help of my wife or daughter. (That's the way to do it!) But I did about 5 panels on my own. The drywall lift I rented made the job pretty easy. I don't know how else I could have managed to install drywall on an 11-foot ceiling. Cool stuff. I hope the engineer had an equity position. The Telpro panel lift is a great tool!

More about my woodshop project is here:
    http://blog.duanemcguire.com/category/woodshop/
    Duane McGuire

Blog Entries
    Go Duane, go! That's quite an undertaking. Keep us informed.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've installed many a board with that puppy....Great tool. Looks good, I'll be insulating and hanging S/R in mine in a few weeks. My ceiling is only 7 ft.6 in. though I'm jealous
    Anthony

I just sheetrocked two walls in my basement shop and I have to say, I hate drywall. Ugh.

My ceiling height is about 9', and for some dumb reason, I decided to do what I've seen in a lot of home renovation shows--install the sheets in a brick pattern, 8' side across, 4' high. Seemed easier to maneuver, but man it bites you in the rear when you go to tape. Not only do you have stretches of edge between studs that are unsupported, but the factory edges are all horizontal, leaving all the vertical seams having to be taped/mudded proud of the surface. Next time I drywall, I'm going back to installing it vertically.

Anyone have any idea why home renovation shows seem to show horizontal installation of drywall? Wish I'd thought before I started installing instead of blindly saying "hey, they do it this way and it seems easier..."

Good luck!

Lookin' good. I used a lift when I did my basement a number of years ago at my old house and it was a real savior to my back and that of the young teen that was helping me with the work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Seams are run horizontally because you have less vertical / non-factory edge seams. Those are the ones that are more noticable and harder to feather in. I finished 1/2 my basement last year, 8.5 foot ceilings. Took 64 sheets mostly 4*12 foot and 54" * 12 footers. Had it all hung in 4 days using that drywall lift. Then I taped for a month!

for the walls i would buy 12' sheets and stand them up. that way you have no butt seams at all to tape! save your self alot of headaches in the butt seams.... Looking great! and making me want to build a new shop!

Congrats
    Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    for the walls i would buy 12' sheets and stand them up. that way you have no butt seams at all to tape! save your self alot of headaches in the butt seams.... Looking great! and making me want to build a new shop!

Congrats
    Nick
    Horizontal sheet layout is a much stronger system then vertical, if joints are staggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Horizontal sheet layout is a much stronger system then vertical, if joints are staggered.
    i wouldnt rely on drywall for any structural strength... but thats just me. you have exterior shething to provide lateral strength in the wall. I think the ease of installation of the gyp, far surpasses any potentail strength you might recieve if installed alternately.
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

I was very impressed with the design of that drywall lift. They thought of everything. I rented one, and am a slow worker. After the second week of having the thing, I decided I might buy one. Looked at a Chinese knockoff for a low sum of money. It was an exact ripoff , but a real piece of junk. They shouldn't be allowed to import these hazards. Rented the real one for another few days and would never do a big drywall job without one.

Go Duane!

I have done a fair amount of drywall. I always muscled it or used a make shift "T" rig. When I did the 10' ceilings in my shop I rented a lift like the one you used. I wished I'd discovered it decades earlier!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

i wouldnt rely on drywall for any structural strength... but thats just me. you have exterior shething to provide lateral strength in the wall. I think the ease of installation of the gyp, far surpasses any potentail strength you might recieve if installed alternately.
    Vertical sheets are still a weak design, it's still wiser to gain strength wherever poss. then to have a installation done 'cuz it is easier and given the state of today's lumber (or what is called lumber) every little bit helps.

What is the roof pitch, and how much room do you have in the attic

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Beam View Post
    What is the roof pitch, and how much room do you have in the attic
    The roof pitch is 8/12. The attic room is 44X14, so I get an extra 600 SF, once I get it finished. No specific plans on use as yet, but lots of potential. Max ceiling is 7' Min ceiling is about 4'. Here's a pic:

Duane McGuire

the shear capacity of 1/2" gyp board sheathing is roughly equivalent to 7/16" OSB sheathing. it depends on how it is attached, and whether the edges are blocked, but all things being equal, the gyp board is good for about 80% of the OSB rating. it definitely contributes to the overall stiffness of the system.

-matt