After my last project, I swore that I never wanted to sand again! This resulted in purchasing a couple of card scrapers and some hand planes, including the Veritas Cabinet Scraper, Veritas No. 4 1/2 smoothing plane, Vertias low angle block plane, and a cheap spokeshave, which works but will be replaced in the future (probably with a Veritas model).

Now, I've learned how to use the scrapers with the aid of the Veritas variable angle burnishing took, which I love.

Over the past two weeks, I have begun a new project, with the intent of hand planing for a variety of purposes, including smoothing. I have spent a ton of time using the No. 4 1/2, and I now have a few questions:

1. When begnining a cut, I am getting a significant amount of snipe. It seems no mater what I try, there is always some snipe at the beginning. Is there a way to eliminate this snipe? I know I am just beginning, but I have read a ton of books and materials (I have on-line FWW access), and I did not come across any discussions of hand plane snipe.

2. I am doing the best I can in planing with the grain, but the White Ash I have seems to have a lot of grain reversal, so I am getting significant tear-out in some areas with the 4 1/2. I am coping with the tear out as best I can by changing directions, but there are always areas to clean up with the scraper. What is counter-intuitive to me is that when I use my low-angle block plane over the areas that tear-out with the 4 1/2, I usually get less tear out. I think this might be to blade sharpness, but I'm not sure. Is Ash a wood that is expected to have a lot of tear out? Is there a way to reduce tear-out as much as possible?

3. This brings up a related questions about sharpening. Re-honing my blade seemed to reduce tear-out for a while, but my finest stone is a 4000-grit water stone. I just recently learned how to sharpen, so I didn't want to invest in an 8000 grit stone until I learned how to sharpen (I have 1000- and 4000-grit stones). Would having the 8000 stone (or otherwise increasing the level of sharpness by improving my technique) help reduce tear-out when using the 4 1/2?

4. What is the most logical plane to add to my arsenal next? I am thinking that a Jack or Jointer Plane would be nice, but can't decide on what would be the most versatile (I am unlikely to be able to buy several at a time).

Overall, I am enjoying hand tools a lot! I go slower and focus more on the details of the project. At the same time, I enjoy the work more, so I feel even less need to rush (no sanding!!!). I am hoping that the result in a great positive effect on the quality of my projects.

I know there is a lot to read here, but I can't seem to find this information anywhere, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!