Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: looking for a quality chainsaw

looking for a quality chainsaw

I have some pretty hefty trees to clear at my fathers vacation property. I am looking for an easy to handle yet rugged chainsaw that has the power to make small logs out of many big felled trees. These appear to be pretty dense. (They are in the Bahamas..not sure of the name of the tree, but cassaway or something seems familiar) . I am happy buying a used one in good shape, or rebuilding one for a nice winter project. Any brand and model suggestions?
    Thanks. (also if there is a good guide book for chainsaw safety procedures)

Stihl..... but whatever you get.... get a bar long enough to handle the tree diameters you mentioned.

Sarge..

Stihl or Husqvanra. Avoid the consumer saws at the 'borg...they will not last, costing you more in the long run and they will not start as easily and reliably as a good machine will.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You got your answers.

When I purchased a new saw this year it was a toss up between Husqvarna and Stihl. I went with the Husky because the 18" bar version had a slightly bigger engine. Stihl's big saws are some of the best out there.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I've got a new Stihl 390 that handles a 25" bar. About a $500 saw as I recall. If you get a project saw, do the research to ensure parts are available. It's not quite as good as it once was, and Stihl is darn proud of their repair parts. They will lighten your wallet up real fast. Not trying to bash Stihl. I do love my saw compared to the borg junk I used to own and fight.
    Last edited by Dewayne Reding; 01-03-2009 at 12:20 PM.

I have had a Stihl for about 10 years and have cut many trees with it. Your bar does not need to be as long as the tree you are cuting as there are techques to cut trees with a short bar. If you plan to cut as a logger i.e., daily, then get a longer bar. The Stihl is a very good saw ....
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne Reding View Post
    I've got a new Stihl 390 that handles a 25" bar. About a $500 saw as I recall. If you get a project saw, do the research to ensure parts are available. It's not quite as good as it once was, and Stihl is darn proud of their used parts. They will lighten your wallet up real fast. Not trying to bash Stihl. I do love my saw compared to the borg junk I used to own and fight.
    I recently bought the 390. I also got a 20-inch bar in addition to the 25-inch for times when the 25 is overkill. Haven't used it yet, so can't comment on its quality, performance, etc., but I am relying on its great reputation.

Another vote for Husky or Stihl

You won't regret Stihl, and parts are easy. There is a radical difference in handling between the different sizes, if you are only going to be using it on 15" or so trees, you will wish you got the smaller size. The big Stihl's balance very well though, just more mass to be lugging around.

Another Husky

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    You won't regret Stihl, and parts are easy. There is a radical difference in handling between the different sizes, if you are only going to be using it on 15" or so trees, you will wish you got the smaller size. The big Stihl's balance very well though, just more mass to be lugging around.
    Good point, my 390 is heavy. No way I use it for trimming branches. I use it on my Alaskan chainsaw mill to harvest moderate sized logs for woodworking. It would also knock down big trees of course.

Visit this website and forum. (Nice folks there!)

www arboristsite com

I would say about 75% of these folks use Stihl.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-03-2009 at 9:56 PM. Reason: Removed direct link to another forum - Prohibited by TOS
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

(Stihl) The odd number model numbers are commercial grade, spend the extra $$$ on commercial grade, it will last you longer.

I would check which brands are available on the island and what dealers there are. You don't want a broken down saw and no one to fix it. I have a couple of stihl's and we used to have a husqvarna there all great saws and fairly tough. Most the loggers around here run Stihl or husky.
    Tom

Stihl or Dolmar