Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Law Will Severely Affect Toymakers- Please Read

New Law Will Severely Affect Toymakers- Please Read

In February, 2009, a new law, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act , goes into affect. The purpose of this law is to require all toys sold in the U.S. to be tested by a third party to certify that they contain no lead or other hazardous materials. This Act is aimed at the proliferation of toys imported into the U.S. from China and elsewhere that have made so much news in the past couple of years...imported from countries that do not have the restrictions on hazardous materials in raw materials that we have in the U.S.

The CPSIA will require that a prototype of each toy be tested, with the testing running into four figures for each toy. If a company makes a toy truck, the toy truck must be tested. If the same company makes a toy car from the same materials, the car must be tested...and so on for each particular toy.

A consequence of this Act, which was aimed primarily at foreign exporters, is that it also applies to you and me; it applies to anyone making toys or any other device that is intended for use by any child under the age of 12, or that could reasonably be contacted by a child under the age of 12. The end result will be to make it illegal for any craftsman, home hobbyist, etc. to make for sale any toy without having that toy tested regardless of the materials used in that toy. The toy must be tested and certified as free from hazardous materials even if all materials used in the construction of the toy have individually been certified as safe by independent testing.

What this means for anyone making toys for sale is that a toy made from a piece of solid maple with zero finish must be tested and certified free of hazardous materials, even if the only material in the toy is maple. A wooden puzzle made from maple, then details painted on with certified lead free paints must be tested and certified. A doll house made from maple and cherry, then finished with a food grade shellac must be tested and certified. A doll made from scraps of the same material a child's dress is made from must be tested...You get the idea.

I understand and agree with the intent of the CPSIA...to stop the importing of products loaded with hazardous materials used in some parts of the world, but prohibited in the U.S. (and, I assume, Canada). That was the intent of the law. The unintended consequence, though, is to all but eliminate the production of toys by hobbyists like us who may sell a few of our toys at craft shows in order to pay for our hobby or to make a few extra bucks. Again, even though the individual materials we use have been certified as safe for sale and use in the U.S., the completed product made with these previously certified safe materials will be considered illegal to sell unless the individual product is tested and certified at the maker's expense.

Botom line...this act, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, will make criminals out of every one of us who makes a toy truck or rocking horse or doll house for children. I know this does not apply directly to everyone here, but should be a concern to everyone. This is a well intentioned act that was not thought out completely, and will have consequences for cottage industries and hobbyists all across the U.S. If the raw materials each are already certified as being safe, it is completely illogical to require testing of the end product.

Forturnately, it is not too late to act. Almost, but not quite too late. The CPSC commission is requesting input on desired changes, exceptions, etc. to this Act. The text of their request for input is available at the pdf link posted below. Even if you do not make toys, I strongly urge you to write to this commission supporting an exception to this Act if the toys made are made entirely with materials that are already tested and approved for sale in the U.S.

Please get involved. Toymakers should be a treasured part of our heritage, not criminalized for making a toy truck.

Information can be found at http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/Comp...tsComments.pdf

p.s. The e-mail link within the pdf document did not link directly. If you choose to e-mail your comment, you will need to cut and paste the link into your e-mail address line
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

I started to wade through the act a bit but it hurt my head.

The section I found deals specifically with importers. Perhaps an email off to someone familiar with the act in that office would answer or one of our resident attorneys can take a looksee.

SEC. 102. MANDATORY THIRD PARTY TESTING FOR CERTAIN CHILDREN’S
    PRODUCTS.
    (a) MANDATORY AND THIRD PARTY TESTING.—
    (1) GENERAL CONFORMITY CERTIFICATION.—
    (A) AMENDMENT.—Paragraph (1) of section 14(a) (15
    U.S.C. 2063(a)) is amended to read as follows:
    ‘‘(1) GENERAL CONFORMITY CERTIFICATION.—Except as provided
    in paragraphs (2) and (3), every manufacturer of a product
    which is subject to a consumer product safety rule
    under this
    Act or similar rule, ban, standard, or regulation under any
    other Act enforced by the Commission and which is imported
    for consumption
    or warehousing or distributed in commerce

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

More information

Thanks for replying, Joe.

I had the same reacton initially...applies only to importers. Evidently, this is not the case. More information is available at the following URLs. One is for the Hand Made Wooden Toy Alliance, the other for a very large crafter's information page. Readers should check these out.

http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/

http://www.change.org/ideas/view/sav...from_the_cpsia
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pack View Post
    ... it applies to anyone making ... any ...device that .... could reasonably be contacted by a child under the age of 12....
    Whew. That's far broader than just toys. It would include kitchen cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Whew. That's far broader than just toys. It would include kitchen cabinets.
    It won't be long before the hardships placed upon manufacturers causes a roll-back. Either that or a few test cases will cause the rule to be suspended "pending further consideration" for just about forever. Really, most of these controls already exist in statute somewhere.

reasonably in contact...under 12. That includes EVERYTHING! Carpetting, cat food, drapes, paper plates, forks, car seats, formica, air freshener, toilet paper, soda cans, pillow stuffing, work boots, concrete, vinyl siding, party balloons.....
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Before I get really worried about this I would really like to see some documentation from the agency itself that says local and domestic producers are also effected under this statue.

I have yet to find a section that doesn't mention importation. I am not an attorney and likely have missed some section somewhere.

One thing about reactionary legislation (which I despise greatly) is that things are often left off or missed all together.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Just a bandaid solution, China is the real problem and they won't acknowledge it in fear of --------when the Chinese have 3 Trillion of our debt.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-03-2009 at 4:04 PM. Reason: language

Blog Entries
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I wonder how enforced this will be? Last year in the height of the lead toy problem I started making toys with my students to donate to toys for tots. This turned into a great project we would like to continue every year. We made 1000 toys this year and last and it bought us some great publicity.
    I am wondering if the Marines will accept my donated toys if I do not get them tested?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122102755.html

I read a news story that domestic manufacturers may be exempted if they make wooden toys that are finished with certain types of nontoxic finishes. Why don't we just make the folks that import Chinese stuff test it. Lead paint is still legal there so they paint stuff with it -- not much of a mystery. I don't think the government is the problem -- it's just not a well written law as it was passed.

The idea of just testing imported toys won't happen for one reason above all others...it just makes to much sense!

If it makes sense, we can't do it. It's not the American way I guess
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

I would hope there would be exemptions. Our local HS used the shop class to make toys for the "Toys for tots" program. It is for kids who are less-fortunate. I would hate to see our gov't do something so stupid as to change this tradition!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wellner View Post
    Just a bandaid solution, China is the real problem and they won't acknowledge it in fear of --------when the Chinese have 3 Trillion of our debt.
    Listen -- China is not the problem. The problem is our insistence on buying toys at a price that is too cheap to ensure that toxic materials are not used in their manufacture, wherever they might be made. Ensuring safe, quality toys costs money, no matter the country of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Knighton View Post
    The idea of just testing imported toys won't happen for one reason above all others...it just makes too much sense!
    Why should we only test imported toys? Should we trust American workers who probably spend their off hours strung out on crystal meth to safely manufacture toys for our kids?

To make it clear, I certainly don't think that American workers are strung out on crystal meth. My point is that making blanket statements like this one or "China is the problem" are both blatantly unfair. Please think before blaming a manufacturing issue on an entire country and its people.

Gotta agree. China is not the problem. We are a society that buys on price. The tools we use in our hobby are a great example of that.

Warning folks

It's time for the standard politics warning folks.

Please remember that it is a violation of the SMC Terms of Service to enter into political discussions. Most threads like this start off just fine, and then slowly degenerate into strongly worded posts which violate the TOS and cause even more strongly worded replies. Eventually the thread has people calling each other names, attacking motives and beliefs, and we moderators severely edit the thread and warn the posters. At the end, high emotions have spiraled the thread out of control and the moderator staff locks and deletes the thread.

Please think carefully about what you write BEFORE you post. We appreciate your cooperation.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

All - Something to remember if you make toys for sale is that this defines you as a manufacturer. The consumer product liability law in the US is crafted so that a consumer that's injured by your product, whether correctly used or not, can recover actual damages from you in court.

It would seem that the new law specifically aimed at toys simply codifies that the product be tested and certified, which is in some ways a minor escalation of your liability should a toy injure a child. As far as I'm aware, the actual damages are recoverable regardless of whether the injury results from an intentional design feature on your part (for example, small parts that constitute a choking hazard) or an artifact of the material from which the toy is made. For example, a wooden toy thrown across the room whose wood shatters and the splinters result in an eye injury would still be consider your (the maker's) liability.

Something to think about if you make toys for sale to strangers out of your garage woodworking shop. It's for this reason that I only make toys for immediate family members, and though I've been asked before to make toys for others, I turn those requests down. I generally state that I don't have much experience ensuring the safety of toys, and the requesters usually stop asking at that point.