Thread: How 'bout those scrappies?

How 'bout those scrappies?

First off, I'm really happy I found the creek. The range and amount of info here is awesome. Best of luck to everyone and their projects.

My question* All you guys have them, all the scraps of wood that collect everywhere in the shop. I have some nice ones; jatoba, padouk, sapele, wild black cherry, from past projects. I want to TS and plane them to 1/4" and glue them up to 2" wide strips. Eventually hoping to be railings and handles for a mini bar I want to build. Has anyone done this before, maybe butcher block or so called laminated project? If so I need some advice if off the shelf wood glues would work okay if grinded, turned and/or sanded later. Or should I upgrade to something I haven't used before. Thanks. Ron

Ron:

I see no reason not to use Titebond II for this glue-up.

Jack

i built a 24" x 24" X 1" thick cover for a camper stove from strips of red oak. Used titebond II. It's now 9 or 10 years old and still solid with no splits. Recently built a butcher block style top for a shop cabinet - 25 X 37 x 13/16". Again, red oak. Because it's touted as waterproof, I used titebond III. Both are finished with 3 coats of minwax poly. Plan on making some trivets for my wife using smaller scraps to frame 6" porcelin tiles. i absolutely hate to throw good scraps on the burn pile!

Big Thanks!

2 votes for titebond is good enough for me. Thanks guys. By the way, if anyone ever has questions on minwax, I've used the sanding sealer, all stains and polys for over 20 years and they have never let me down.

I take the scraps and make cutting boards, accent pieces for something ( like drawer handles ).