Thread: Display cases

Display cases

I just posted some pictures of my plane and tool cabinet over in the Neander section. I made it out of left over material from a couple of display cases I made for my wife last summer. She inherited a number of cut glass pieces from her mother, and has a pretty good collection of her own, and wanted a place to display them. We decided on the blank wall of our dining room, where I had originally planned to build a china cabinet. The living room and dining room are all one big room, and the living room and dining room furniture are all Danish Modern in the 60's and 70s style, so the display cases had to match. I looked at a bunch of pictures on the web, and got a set of general plans, then started designing, if you can call it that. I made one full size prototype out of Borg softwood to work out the details (I didn't want to experiment with $28/bf teak), and glazed the prototype with plexiglas. When the prototype was finished it went into the garage where it houses some of my vintage Coleman lanterns. The final products were made with teak plywood backs and bases, and all the sides and door framing were milled from solid 5/4 stock. The tops are cut from one large 8/4 slab of Afrimosia, which is a lot cheaper than teak, and looks a lot like it. It's working characteristics are totally different, though and I don't think it makes very good cabinet wood. The glazing is standard 1/8" glass, and the shelves are 3/16 or 1/4" glass. The glazing is all set into rabbets routed in the rails and stiles, and the stops were ripped from solid stock and pinned in place with an 18 gauge pinner. The sides were assembled with bridle joints, and the doors all have half laps, all glued with Poly glue. The doors are fully inset with piano hinges, and there are 3 puck lights recessed into the tops. The door pulls were made out of wenge. I went through a set of planer knives milling the stock, and subsequently replaced them with a helical carbide planer head (it was an expensive summer...).

Thanks for looking.

Dave C
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats as very striking from first glance on...

Sarge..

Looks like those beautiful cabinets were put right to work!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

WOW, very nice cabnets. They definitly work well with the collection they display.
    Releasing sawdust from wood = releasing stress from the body

Blog Entries
    Nice,
    Had to close the pics quick, my wife is coming.

jim

BZ...job well done!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Those turned out very well! And you really crammed a whole lot of glass in each case, it really works as a display.