Thread: Made my vacuum adapter, works great

Made my vacuum adapter, works great

well, i finally finished my vacuum adapter. its corian laminated with epoxy, an ace pump bearing glued in with 5min marine epoxy, and a female-female 1/4 inch brass fitting turned down on one end to fit in the bearing. that is also glued with the marine epoxy. all in all it works great, i'm going to build a support block where i'm pointing in the second picture to sit on the motor to take away any downward pressure caused by the weight of the hose. anyways, heres some pics. oh yeah, it works better than expected.

Chris - nice work on your adapter! Glad to hear that it works even better than expected! An option for you to consider instead of a support block would be to use a right angle brass fitting between the hose and your adapter.

Nice work - thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Looks great and should do the job. I would do like Steve said and use a angle connector instead of straight out.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

90 degree elbow..... brilliant!!

try to get one in next couple of days. will post pics

Chris,

Did you have any kind of guide as you made this? I have the same lathe as you and would like to make my own similar set-up.

Another creeker made one from corian, sorry but I cant remember who right now. Anyway he told me he made the fit a little loose then the o-rings took up the slack. Is that how you went about it too? In other words was the fit tight without the o-rings or just right or loose?? Any measurements you could give us?? I know each one may be different but it should be close enough the get going with it. Glad to hear its working for you!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I just finished building my system, including a rotary adaptor. I used a block of white oak (I've wrapped it in hockey tape--just a little more grip). At one end is a double sealed bearing with a hose barb epoxied into it. At the other is a piece of pvc pipe (it was in the basement and it was the right diameter ). The pvc is just slightly loose in the spindle of my 3520. I then cut recesses to seat the O-rings (which sit just proud of the the pvc --this is trial and error. You want there to be some resistance inserting the adaptor). I was going for two O-rings, but cut one of the recesses a little too deep, so I now have 3 O-rings.

Hope this helps.

david
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Job

That came out great Chris, glad it works well.

Jim, that was my post on 12/30. I don't know how to link to it though.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I am 99% done with my entire rig, just need the vacuum gauge from northern tool, should be here in 7-10 days, when its done, i will post a bunch of pics of the whole thing cause, if i do say so myself, its a pretty sweet setup

as far as the fit, i am probably a light 32nd sloppy in the handwheel, but i used 3/4 id 15/16 od o-rings and that sealed it right up. as far as dimensions, i use my cheap-o harbor freight calipers and use them as a go/no go gauge. if your any more intersted, pm me and i'll try to further answer your questions.

Chris, what glue did you use for the corian?

it is a 60 minute 2 part epoxy loctite brand i think, got it from lowes.

for the bearing-corian and brass female-bearing connection, i used a 5 minute plumber and marine sealant. i used this because it will flex a little vice the epoxy.

What are you guys using for a bleeder valve? Ive heard the ball valves make it hard to tune in an exact setting. Im using a hose spigot believe it or not but its clunky and hard to mount.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.