Thread: Question about the Freud 2-1/4hp router, model FT1702VCE

Question about the Freud 2-1/4hp router, model FT1702VCE

I need some info, from anyone who owns the Freud router mentioned in the title above, please.

If the fixed base of this router is under the table, what is the maximum amount of vertical travel of the router. On the specs of the router I've read that the "depth capacity" of the router is 1.75 inches. Does "depth capacity"mean the same thing as what I'm calling vertical travel?

I'm interested in this router for table use because of the above the table bit change and height adjustment feature. However, I want to be able to also have the router bit retracted completely below the table. Will I be able to do that with this fix based of this router mounted under the table? Any info from owners of this Freud router would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I have mine mounted in a 1/2" thick top. In the fully raised position the collet nut is just barely above the table top. As far as lowering it with a bit mounted that's going to depend on the length of the bit. I've used mine the most with a coping bit to make cabinet doors. The sticking bit is mounted in another table. With the coping bit I can lower the bit below table surface. With a longer flush trim bit with bearing guide It won't go below table top.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stanley View Post
    I have mine mounted in a 1/2" thick top. In the fully raised position the collet nut is just barely above the table top. As far as lowering it with a bit mounted that's going to depend on the length of the bit. I've used mine the most with a coping bit to make cabinet doors. The sticking bit is mounted in another table. With the coping bit I can lower the bit below table surface. With a longer flush trim bit with bearing guide It won't go below table top.
    Thanks. That answers my question. I appreciate it very much.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Smile Freud ???

Not to hijack, but what is the general opinion of the router?
    I ordered one for $99.97, and will use it in the router table. Does it have the same base plate screw pattern as my DW 690?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Not to hijack, but what is the general opinion of the router?
    I ordered one for $99.97, and will use it in the router table. Does it have the same base plate screw pattern as my DW 690?
    Bill
    The FT1700 mounting hole pattern is the same as the PC 690. Extra holes are required for the above table features.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    The FT1700 mounting hole pattern is the same as the PC 690. Extra holes are required for the above table features.
    What about bushings? Can I use PC bushings? Or do I need special Freud bushings? I couldn't determine from the manual what I needed.

The FT1100 adapter plate is required to use PC and Freud template guide bushings.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Unhappy Thanks Charles, now where.......

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    The FT1100 adapter plate is required to use PC and Freud template guide bushings.
    do I get the adapter plate?
    Lowe's here (in Tupelo, MS) won't even know what I'm talkin' about. Get it direct from Freud?
    Bill

9. When I google "FT1100 adapter plate", the first hit is for Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT1100-T.../dp/B00004RJYV

Lowe's here (in Tupelo, MS) won't even know what I'm talkin' about. Get it direct from Freud?
    Bill
    I didn't get one in my kit..looks like another accessory to purchase. It would have been nice if they stated that in the instructions!

Bill
    Bill,

The FT1100 is an optional accessory and can be ordered through Lowe's or any other Freud dealer using the Freud item number. It is also available in the FT2020 Template Guide Set. We offer direct sales for power tool replacement parts but not for accessories.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Thanks Charles and all.

Hope to have the router up and runnin' this week.
    Bill