Thread: Has anyone tried System Three cartridges?

Has anyone tried System Three cartridges?

I've been considering using T-88 or Gel Magic to glue wood, and am wondering about the System Three mixing cartridges. They fit in a caulking gun and apparently mix the epoxy on the spot. Sounds great, if they work as advertised. Anyone have any experience?

I used to build RC boats with dual dispenser epoxy. You still have to mix it. All it does is put out proper amounts of epoxy and resin.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Confess to not having used that particular brand, but have used the caulking gun mixing cartidges from a different vendor and they seemed to work fine. Doesn't mean the System 3 type works, but the concept is good. At least the foundation bolts I expoxied into the piers have held my gazebo on the ground in spite of the Kansas winds.

No mixing required, the resin and catalyst are mixed in the nozzle as gun's trigger lever is pulled. Obviously, if you take too long to use up a cartridge, the epoxy sets up in the tube and you either have to toss the cartridge or replace the nozzle. As best I recall, the cartridge had an extra nozzle so that you got one extra shot at using up the cartridge contents.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 01-04-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I have used the auto mixers. The ones that go on the end of the double tube epoxy. it mixes it OK. only problem is that unless you use the hole tube it hardens in the mixer and you have to use a new mixer each time. I have taken the mixer apart and clean the glue out before it got hard. you need to use acetone or MEK The only time I use them anymore is when I know I'll be needing to use a couple of double epoxies ( Like setting anchor bolts)
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid the cartridges sounded too good to be true. I also wondered if the cost wouldn't be a lot higher than the bottles. I didn't even consider the possibility of throwing away a lot of what you didn't use. Thanks again for helping me make a decision.

I haven't used the epoxy yet but I have the gun and have used bond-&-fill for polyurethane trim. The nozzles get pricey, but they do a great job mixing and are cool to watch too! For either very small or very large applications I would probably use a traditional mix and applicator. But if you need to adhere a reasonable number of things and need to apply the adhesive with fairly pin point accuracy the two part caulk gun can't be beat. Guys around here are using them to secure anchor bolts for mud sills in concrete and similar applications. You could loose your shirt in nozzles and wasted epoxy if you can't line up your work to make good use of the product.

I use West System and their pumps. The two never come in contact and the material will last for years in its seperate cans.