Thread: Jet 8&10" planer/jointer combos, Rigid granite top table saw.

Jet 8&10" planer/jointer combos, Rigid granite top table saw.

A couple of things I saw knocking around the net on the long weekend. I found the jet combo machines on Woodcrafts Site then checked them out further on Jet's. The eight inch was $329 and the ten inch was $419 at one of the locations I jumped to from Jet. Funny thing is they have some things in common with the Grizzly machine, look at the dust port and the way it changes positions. The jets both have two blade cutters like the Griz as well but only weigh in at 60 and 75# respectively. Grizzly appears to be about 350# and has the Euro jointer gaurd among other differences.

Also I was flipping through a design magazine and saw an ad for a R tilting Rigid table saw with a granite top. I was a bit amazed but looked it up- their number is model R4511 and it will be selling for $599. Has the updated trunion mount, riving knife, looks interesting. It appears they may be available at Home Depot but I got a not available checking today.

All right, just a few items that caused a double take today. I would be well served by an eight or ten inch combo but after using my shelix head planer this last year will never go back, if for the sound level if nothing else. I'm guessing perhaps 24 months and there will be that type of choice available.

A great new year to all,
    Larry Rasmussen,
    Seattle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Noise level is a big issue for some of us...

Interesting options

The J/P is an interesting option for basically the price of a benchtop planer. For the "aircraft carrier" crowd 40" jointer beds won't measure up but they're about 6" shorter than the typical 6" jointer which isn't a lot. A quick google search didn't turn up a lot of specifics--given the weight I suspect the motor is a universal, not an induction. I wonder how loud this will be? If they sell a bunch, will Byrd produce an aftermarket helical head? Certainly an interesting option though.

Curt

Very cool idea...add infeed and outfeed tales to the top side of a lunchbox planer!

I wonder if there are any reviews yet? These both seem very interesting. I've been wanting to get one or the other lately because I just can't afford both. This would solve that dilema, and if I wanted to upgrade to single machines - for whatever reason - I could sell this one, if it is a good machine. Although, if it is that good, then I may not want to.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I did I believe see one of these in person a year ago.

Was in the Woodcraft Seattle store. I was looking at the row of power tools, always take that walk when I am down that way, every couple months. I came across a boxy tool made from very light metal, was really suprised to see it labeled as planer-jointer. It was so light looking I didn't bother to look it over. I have been second guessing myself since- what did I see? Was it really a combo machine? Why weren't there any more ever displayed? After seeing the new Jet I figure it was either a prototype or Eurpean model.

The more serious approach of Grizzly to provide some weight and stability may make it worth shelix working up a replacement head for these. It appears the Jets are more of a site tool vs Grizzly's shop model. I theorize they have some of the same guts. Be interesting to see more info as it comes out.

Regards,
    Larry R,
    Seattle

I'm eagerly waiting to see what develops with these. I'm extremely interested, since my shop situation made it almost impossible to have a jointer and a planner until I saw this. If it works relatively OK, it might be worth it. However, I don't want to be the guinea pig on this
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

Wow, that Rigid saw looks like a great deal for the price! Hybrid cabinet saw (usually > 800), granite top (ok I will admit I have no idea how this compares with cast iron except that it won't rust ), riving knife (is there any other saw under 1k with a European style riving knife?).

Quote Originally Posted by Salem Ganzhorn View Post
    Wow, that Rigid saw looks like a great deal for the price! Hybrid cabinet saw (usually > 800), granite top (ok I will admit I have no idea how this compares with cast iron except that it won't rust ), riving knife (is there any other saw under 1k with a European style riving knife?).
    Grizzly has one. $775. 2 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Konikowski View Post
    Grizzly has one. $775. 2 HP.
    oops you are right. With freight though it is close to 900$. But it has table mounted trunnions. The Rigid looks to be cabinet mounted. I might have been wrong on the specifics but it still looks like an amazing value. I am having a hard time believing it will be priced at 600$. For those of you counting that would be < 1.33$ per pound...