Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

5 Jan 2009

Wow.!!! Where did 2008 go????
    I didn't get any woodworking done last week due to being oncall for the day job. I can say that I am truly thankful for still having a job as many that I know are desperately looking for jobs from the various companies that have been laying off near here.

I found out last week that pulling 28 hours straight isn't as easy as it used to be and recovering from working long hard hours like that isn't easy either. Just takes longer to recover is all.

Been thundering here this morning and rain is starting to fall. Current temp is 31º F with a high today of 38º F. Who knows what the weather will bring us today, but....at least I'll be in the shop today.!!!

Oh and Congrats to SMC....we've passed our 1 Million posts mark. I think Dewey has been tracking that some in the OT forum section.

That's it for me....so what did YOU do this weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I had planned on doing significant work on the bookcase I'm working on, but since I work outside, weather plays a factor. Moisture on the ground had me questioning the wisdom of working with power tools, so I made a big old batch of Spaghetti instead. The bookcase would have taken less time, but it wouldn't have tasted half as good
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

I made my first outfeed table. Its friggin huge at 48" by 60". The best part is the entire construction is with 4x4's. This thing will last forever and weighs about 600lbs.

Pretty much spent all weekend trying to find the most efficient place for each tool, and being sick. Every year at this time, here comes the flu. I am pretty happy with the layout now though.

Blog Entries
    I started another box... I'm blogging it over here, on this link.. if ya wanna see it...

Did some honey-do's

Got some of the inside window trim made and installed on the house.

Putted around on some shop organization

Spent a lot of time on the new entertainment center. Rest of the weekend was family time since my brother was in town Thursday evening until Saturday afternoon.

A lot of small stuff. During thanksgiving we tore down the wallpaper in the kitchen, and I've since retextured the walls, put in a chair rail/wainscoating, reframed 3 doors in the kitchen (one being an exterior). Tiled in the arch over the kitchen window over the sink.

And now, I am going to start planning the new kitchen cabinets, which the wife wants made out of cherry. So that also means I need to find a source for prefinished ply for the interiors of the cabinets.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Wow, Dennis...28 hours straight would probably kill me. Your a better man than me!

Saturday was the normal equestrian activities for a good part of the day, but from there I got in the shop and started assembling the upper cabinets for my office from the pre-finished components that have been sitting in my shop for MANY months. I got 2 of the boxes together Saturday before breaking away and got the third done Sunday morning. The rest of Sunday was spent milling up and assembling the cherry face frame that will, well...face...the cabinets once they are installed above my credenza. I still have to make a cabinet door for one section and then finish the FF and door. Hopefully, I'll be able to get them hung next weekend or the following, depending on "things".

Oh, and Saturday I got an email from a former coworker who lives in Bogota, Columbia. He was in Philadelphia for the weekend with "his people" and wanted to know if we could meet up...it's been quite a few years since we saw each other, although we communicate via email and LinkedIn. They had been in DC and were moving on to NYC later on Sunday. So we decided he would visit that evening after he and "his people" had dinner. He arrived at the appointed time and came to the door alone. I asked if "his people" were with him (I'm assuming his wife and two kids).

{Carlos} "Yes, they are in the van".
    {me} "Well, please have them come in!"
    {Carlos} "But there are 14 of us..."}
    {me} "No problem...Alesya, please bring some chairs from the kitchen into the great room!"

Turns out he had his wife, two kids, brother, SIL and infant girl, mother, father, MIL, FIL, aunt, cousin, cousin's wife and 18 year old son with him. Nothing like a family vacation!! LOL The visit was just great.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My weekend started a sooner than normal and lasted a little longer. Good thing!

Late Thursday night we flew into Spokane from NZ. What a change! From 80ºF to below freezing and over 5' of snow.

Friday morning I started digging the van out in the parking lot of the Super 8. The width of the van and 36-40" deep...about 18' long. A guy came out and dug his vehicle out in 15 minutes. He warmed it up...moved it and then joined me. We spent 2 hours digging my van out. Later inside I met his wife. He was dentist from Missoula, MT. They were returning from Puerto Rico where their teenaged son had been invited to a baseball camp. Nice of the guy to help this old man.

The drive home on Friday...4 hours including a lunch stop. Whiteout conditions. US 195 closed between Pullman, Wa and Lewiston, ID so we drove to Moscow, ID and took US 95 home. White out conditions.

Saturday...spent the day loading the over 3500 photos from my wife's cameras to this computer and then backing them up on a standalone harddrive. Then spent several hours trying to burn a DVD with no success. Reloaded software for that and tried again...no success.....GRRRRRRr! So Saturday, the wife mailed the memories to the kids in Houston. They have some project that requires the photos by tomorrow. Don't have a clue what's up.

Sunday....relaxed.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I resurrected a project that I had given up on back in June. It is a cherry curio cabinet that I had totally screwed up by not reading the plans carefully. The problem I had with it was that no two rails and stiles were the same size and I got confused between the upper and lower cabinets. I have built several curio cabinets before but these plans were terrible. Anyway I decided not to let it get me and I have just about finished it.

I spent Friday, Saturday & Sunday at dog shows in Indio, California. The three days were the first shows for our eight month old puppy, Miller. On top of it being his first shows it was his first time away from home and staying in a motel. He and I both had a great trip and he did well at the shows for his first time out. For those who know dog shows Miller won the Bred by Exhibitor class all three days and was Reserve on Friday.

Woebgon's Miller High Life
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Congrats Don! The 2 older ones we lost this summer, litter mates, finished their CH all from Bred By. AKC even sent special little medalions for it. It's the best class to show in, but takes longer to finish from.
    Sat. we took our 8 yo Irish to visit a family looking for an Irish from our rescue group. HUGE back yard and Taz had a blast! She kept going by their pool and looking at the water. I kept calling her off. The couple said, setters don't get in the water. Of course, Taz figured out the steps and walked right on in to cool off! (84 degrees here Sat) The couple were shocked, LOML and I weren't. Gave us a good time to teach the importance of having a new dog learn the pool, how to swim, and more importantly, where the steps are to get out.
    Spent a couple hours in the shop cutting down some salvage drawers from work to fit in the shop cabinets. Worked about 3 more hours Sunday afternoon on taking all the rest of the drawers apart, cutting to proper size, and cutting the bottoms to fit. Have 4 glued up, 5 more to do, then mount them. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Several Firsts for Me

Since I am mostly a turner, I had several firsts this past weekend. I had Friday off so it was a long weekend for me. I am in the process of building my first real cabinet. I need something to hold my planer and can use the storage below it. I have the Kreg pocket hole jig to use in the construction. I cut the sides after carefully checking my dimensions and they came out well. Now for some firsts-In order to make the rabbet for the back panel I used a stacked dado blade in my tablesaw. I have had the blade set for about 3 years waiting for something to use it for. They’re not very useful in turning ;-) In order to use the dado blade correctly, I needed to make a zero-clearance insert for the TS. I did this successfully by using the standard ZCI as a pattern and a flush trim bit in my router-another first for me-pattern routing. Came out great and worked perfectly with the dado blade. I also made the top frame and floor for the inside of the cabinet and they are even the same size ! I know this is not a big deal to most of you but it is to me. Not bad for a round guy who wants to go flat too.I now have to make the face frame and door and drawer.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

15. I finished a project, which was much more a celebration for me than anything New Year's related.

Other pics/details in this post in the Projects forum.