Thread: Building a hutch question

Building a hutch question

My wife wants two kitchen hutches so I started working on them this past week. The back side will be viewable, so I am making it with frame and panel construction. She wants the inside edge of each frame to be routed with a round-over so it looks like the rest of the kitchen cabinets. I know that I can do this with a door router bit set but wanted a longer tenon for added strength, any suggestions? The base will be 24*44 cherry.
    Thanks
    Scott

This just requires some careful fitting as you need to miter the round-overs manually when you create your rails and stiles. Alternatively, you could use applied moldings, but the look will not be quite the same unless this is a painted piece. Honestly, this is a great hand tool exercise, although you can do it with machinery with some jigs, etc.

This thread is also discussing the same general idea: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100586
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-05-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am currently building a hutch with those type of doors. As Jim mentioned, you have to go ahead and run the profile and then remove the part where the styles and rails meet. The profile (round over) is then mitered where the corners will meet. A normal mortise and tenon joint will make the doors much stronger that a cope and stick joint. My doors are glass instead of a panel which is why I chose this method.

The cut you are looking for is called a Jack miter. Woodweb has some cool jigs guys use for making them quickly using a chamfer bit with the bearing ground off. You can use a tablesaw and handtools also.

If this is the back panel a regular cope and stick should be plenty strong.

If you want to browse some info on how to make them do a search for beaded face frames. That is what it is used for most often.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"