Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone done a turquoise inlay like this?

Anyone done a turquoise inlay like this?

Was wondering if anyone had any idea on how this was done? I'm taking a stab that the turquoise is simply mixed w/ some type of epoxy...my bigger question is what would be the method to getting this level of small detail in the outline(in this case bears)?

CNC machine? Thought maybe scroll for a bit but I've seen some of this on different moldings so I can't imagine that's a walk in the park to do w/ differnent angles involved?

Anyone have a source for this type of turquoise?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's not really a very complicated shape, easily router with a template and guide. You are correct in that the excavation is filled with crushed turquoise and epoxy
    David DeCristoforo

Yep I have!

I did it with turquoise and CA filler. When dealing with turquoise the cavity is the main challenge then you fill most of it with chunks of turquoise, coat with CA, then fill the rest with turquoise dust, then sand.

There is also a product called inlace that is easier to work with and looks just like the real thing for a price.

With real turquoise always sand (60-80 gt)... don't put tools to it as they will dull immediately.

Not a bear shaped example but you get the idea in the (pic)

Left (Dust)
    Middle (finished product)
    Right (filler sized turquoise)

All bought here : http://stores.ebay.com/GILMER-ROCK-SHOP

I could easily coach you through this if you want to try it
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 01-06-2009 at 1:51 AM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

turquoise inlay

As a woodturner we use turquoise on rims of plates and use CA glue to hold it all together.

Rob

Travis, it's not hard to do..... if you own a laser. If you're in NJ sometime soon, stop in. I'll show you.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Thanks!

No laser or cnc. After I posted, I was thinking about the cutout, I would suspect you would want at least 1/8" deep to get the rock into?

Was also thinking that considering it doesn't need to be a perfect bottom in your cutout that if I was only doing a few I could probably do it by hand starting w/ an xacto? It would seem like too small of an design for a router / pattern to work too well on? There is another one that is actually a bear paw w/ sharp claws, I can't imangine unless you have a laser or cnc you're probably going to be doing it by hand.

No major rush, still racking my brain on the rustic entertainment center for the sister and brother-in-law. Details, details...

Quote Originally Posted by travis howe View Post
    No laser or cnc. After I posted, I was thinking about the cutout, I would suspect you would want at least 1/8" deep to get the rock into?

Was also thinking that considering it doesn't need to be a perfect bottom in your cutout that if I was only doing a few I could probably do it by hand starting w/ an xacto? It would seem like too small of an design for a router / pattern to work too well on? There is another one that is actually a bear paw w/ sharp claws, I can't imangine unless you have a laser or cnc you're probably going to be doing it by hand.

No major rush, still racking my brain on the rustic entertainment center for the sister and brother-in-law. Details, details...
    Ok Travis I am tired of hearing about this "laser" business.

Post a pic of the inlay you are trying to do with that claw and the size (if you can hold a ruler up to it or a coin) and I will not only do it... I will post the tutorial!!!

And for the money I will save you on a laser ($7,000 plus) all I ask for is a post saying thanks.

BTW,
    I am not against lasers at all. Just not for the average guy... needs to be earning $$$$ to justify.
    Dewey

Start the clock

Just to prove a point clock this post and I am going to go to my shop right now a create a mock up based on your picture. Drying time and posting time plus the time I take to write the response is all included.

I am not as fast or as accurate as laser and I am not trying to be. I just want to do a "quickie" to show you what you can do without a laser.
    LASER (ha ha ha) <---- do you remember Austin Powers' 'LASER'???
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Ok Travis I am tired of hearing about this "laser" business.

Post a pic of the inlay you are trying to do with that claw and the size (if you can hold a ruler up to it or a coin) and I will not only do it... I will post the tutorial!!!

And for the money I will save you on a laser ($7,000 plus) all I ask for is a post saying thanks.

BTW,
    I am not against lasers at all. Just not for the average guy... needs to be earning $$$$ to justify.

Get a 'due by end of the month' order for 50 cabinet doors with a square foot of grapes and leaves inlay work on each... you'll run to the laser store and hope they'll deliver tomorrow. My need to stop working at 2:00 am made a laser a need, not a want. Mine was $26,000.00 and it's paid for.

Nothing wrong with neander methods... I still do MOP inlays in guitars and banjos for a few custom makers the old fashioned way for fun. Quite frankly, hand cutting is easily detectable and in my mind denotes a very high degree of 'hand-crafted spirit' - it's why the better makers want hand-cut inlays.

I see the laser as just another shop tool... like a table saw.
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 01-06-2009 at 11:41 PM.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Ok Done!

You can stop the timer:
    Step 1 Your pic and a scrap of QSWO from the Morris Chair project
    100_0958.jpg

Step 2 Make the groove
    100_0959.jpg

Step 3 Groove complete
    100_0960.jpg

Step 4 Carbon paper
    100_0961.jpg

Step 5 Line up for tracing
    100_0962.jpg
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 01-06-2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Dewey

Continued

Step 6 All traced out
    100_0963.jpg

Step 7 Dremel setup with grout bit (1/16")
    100_0964.jpg

Step 8 Excavation
    100_0965.jpg

Step 9 Excavation complete
    100_0967.jpg

Step 10 CA brand I use (LOCKTITE PROFESSIONAL)
    100_0968.jpg
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 01-07-2009 at 12:01 AM.
    Dewey

Cont...

Step 11 Fill the groove with CA
    100_0969.jpg

Step 12 Sprinkle some big stuff in there
    100_0970.jpg

Step 13 Looks sloppy don't worry
    100_0971.jpg

Step 14 Time for the fine stuff after another CA layer
    100_0972.jpg

Step 15 Over the big stuff with the fine stuff
    100_0973.jpg
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 01-07-2009 at 12:04 AM.
    Dewey

Cont...

Step 16 Looks like crap... don't panic
    100_0974.jpg

Step17 Start sanding (this stuff eats paper quick so be ready with more
    100_0975.jpg

Step 18 Keep on going
    100_0976.jpg

Step 19 Finished product! (ok now stop the timer) 9:24- 10:06 ... all complete with pics, postings , spelling, work, editing, and the kitchen sink.

I never get tired of revealing the final product. It makes me smile every time!
    100_0977.jpg 100_0978.jpg
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 01-07-2009 at 12:22 AM.
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Get a 'due by end of the month' order for 50 cabinet doors with a square foot of grapes and leaves inlay work on each... you'll run to the laser store and hope they'll deliver tomorrow. My need to stop working at 2:00 am made a laser a need, not a want. Mine was $26,000.00 and it's paid for.

Nothing wrong with neander methods... I still do MOP inlays in guitars and banjos for a few custom makers the old fashioned way for fun. Quite frankly, hand cutting is easily detectable and in my mind denotes a very high degree of 'hand-crafted spirit' - it's why the better makers want hand-cut inlays.

I see the laser as just another shop tool... like a table saw.
    Mitch,
    You have me bent. I actually gave you big props in the Morris chair thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...&postcount=231

I don't oppose lasers at all really and didn't mean to offend. I happen to know Travis and also know he is NOT in the market for a laser. He just wanted to learn how to do this inlay. I still love you man!
    Dewey

Thanks for taking the time to post this tutorial. While I had seen this before on turned bowls, mostly thin accent lines, I never appreciated what an entire figure would look like. The finished product looks like stone inlay, which I've long wanted to include in marquetry pieces, but tutorials on inlaying stone scared me off. Definitely going to give this a try in '09.

thanks again!
    roger