Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 3-String

New 3-String

This is my fifth 3-string Guitar. I got the inspiration for these from a friends cigar box guitar and they've been a lot of fun. The neck was turned by face joining two 6/4 cherry boards with paper between them and turning between centers. The body was turned as a normal lidded bowl. The inlays were turned between centers and the bridge was turned with a flange so it fit in a 1" hole in the body.

This one has a cherry neck, a rosewood body and ebony nut/bridge/inlays.

I also put a piezo pickup in it to get a little more volume out of it. The piezo is attached to the bottom of the bridge plug and though it's not the best sounding pickup on the market, it's not too shabby for less than $10 at the Shack.

Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

That's pretty cool Raymond! Nice shape and great wood combination! Electric no less! Works equally well as an art form or an instrument! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Oooh...that's major cute! If you have any "intermediate" pictures from the project available, please post thing. This is very interesting...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

Jim, I will tell you, we have a definition for 'cute' at my house though...

passively attractive yet of no real value.
    Raymond Overman

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Roflol Raymond that is good. Great looking guitar. I have never seen a 3 string one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Raymond, I'm with Jim... very cool and very interesting... I would love some more information on this (with pics if available)... If you don't mind sharing... looks like a really fun project and I like doing music instruments (what's bad is I can't play anything!!!)

Bernie, take a look at Cigar Box Guitars on Google. It's a musical movement.

I'm with you Bill, I can barely get a tune out of it but I'm trying. The nice thing about these 3-stringers are that you're always playing a power chord. Mines tuned GDG (open G) or you can tune it to AEA (open A).

I don't have any pictures of the process but the next time I put one together I'll try to document it a little better. Even after five of them, I'm still in engineering mode. Getting a little better each time.

You can hear a sample of the noise I make here.
    Raymond Overman

I like it

I hear you about not being able to play anything the best I can do is play the radio

Bill

Cool. Here's a free 3-string guitar lesson
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=03e_1201105234
    Use the fence Luke

And now for something completely different. I love this thing!! Looks like it could be alot of fun and a nice "backpacker" for camping. Whats the tuning? Have you played it much?
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

That is absolutely GREAT!
    I have spent most the evening searching cigar box guitars, watching them being played on u-tube. I just can't find enough info for me to be able to make one. I have got to do more research and give it a try.

WOW THIS LOOKS GREAT! I have wanted to make a guitar for a while now and I LIKE THIS IDEA!!!!
    Do you have any specs or materials for the project. Can we see some of the other ones you have made?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    That is absolutely GREAT!
    I have spent most the evening searching cigar box guitars, watching them being played on u-tube. I just can't find enough info for me to be able to make one. I have got to do more research and give it a try.
    Paul, check out www.cigarboxnation.com for plans and forums. They're not so civilized over there as we are here but there's a lot of information.
    Raymond Overman

Thanks, Raymond.

What is the diameter of the cherry body? Thanks.