Thread: Wixey TS Fence Scale Annoying Problem

Wixey TS Fence Scale Annoying Problem

I've noticed a recurring problem with my Wixey scale on my table saw fence. About once a week I have to recalibrate as it gains roughly 1/4"--meaning when I put the fence flush against the blade it reads -0.2xx". I've changed the battery so that's not the problem. Its happened several times now over the past several weeks. Has anyone else seen this? I've fired off an email to Wixey as well, but I don't expect they'll be around to read it until Monday.

Matt,

I haven't had this, or any other problem with mine. That's not much help to you I realize, but it will be interesting to see if others have had a problem. It's one of my favorite gizmos for sure. Saves much time and trouble on our smaller, less accurate table saws.

This is probably a premature guess, but that paticular problem sounds like your unit may be defective beyond what can be done in the field (I mean, there are no adjustments after all), especially if it has been present from day one. You might best call Wixey and let them swap it out. They are going to want to put that one through the ringer I bet.

Please post the final disposition.
    Can't complain about a thing!

Hi Matt - The only time I lose the reference on mine is if I slide it off the end and put it back....otherwise it stays zeroed.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    No help here either. The only deviation on mine is due to a bit of flex as I lock the Bies down. Its .01" consistently but I still need to fix it as it does start to bug me after a few cuts.

I had a planer DRO lose its mind after about a month. Barry sent me a new one and I have had no trouble since on that one either.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mine has held fine too. Maybe you could check the spot where the two strips meet???

Mike

Well, I did get an email from Barry Wixey on a Saturday of a holiday weekend. He suggested that I tighten the 6 screws on the back of the unit. He said sometimes it is necessary to tighten up the gap between the readout and the sensor strip. Apparently this might even be in the manual--maybe I should read that??? He also said ungrounded DC units have occasionally been a a problem. Failing that he said to let him know and he'll replace it.

I have constant decalibration of mine. They sent me a new unit and it worked for a while and then back to loosing it's calibration. It is very annoying, I always will use the scale on the saw and then fine tune with the Wixey. If it is off I know it. It will always go off calibration in 0.2 increments, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6 etc. Right from the horses mouth. Check your rail, see it it has any scars on the green squiggly area. I usually will loose calibration near those, but not always. Sometimes it is just random. Great product if I could keep it calibrated. I have become very accustom to it and would be lost without it.

Just a thought.

Do you have a micro adjust fence (Like the JET/HTC) that may be moving on you?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Mine is just a standard Biesemeyer fence. I tightened up the screws but that made it catch on the joint between the two halves of the fence. I cleaned up the joint some with a file and then sandpaper but it still caught so I backed of the screws slightly (maybe 1/8-1/4 turn) which is better. It still occasionally catches but I figure after a few uses it will improve as the plastic that is catching wears. I'll report back on how the calibration stays.

Matt, I've had calibration problems as well and just stopped using the fence altogether. I finally gave it another shot the other day and calibrated the fence again. It was fine for a day or two and then I went to use it yesterday and it was off by about a 1/2". I'll probably end up sticking with the old method. At this point it's too frustrating to get it all calibrated, use it for a day or two and then find out that I need to do it all again. It's a real shame because I like the product and enjoy using it when it's working.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Matt. Mine has done the 1/4 off just the last few days.

Same battery, maybe its time to replace mine.

I usually re zero every few days.

Mine never loses calibration but is difficult to set right on the money, usually being of by .1 or so when the fence is locked. I suspect it is a mechanical problem with the fence and the way it locks. It is such a great device that I put up with this small problem. As for drifting off calibration I live in a very mild climate and just maybe it is something that happens in extreme cold??
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening