Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upside-down 16-32

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Hruska View Post
    Consolidated reply.

Doug: The 16-32 itself is closer to 110 lbs, the 175 lb number is shipping weight. The DeWalt is right at 80 pounds, so I'm hoping that these will mostly balance each other out. I am planning to mount these to the table in such a way that they would be balanced fairly well.
    Sorry for the faux pas. I cant even find the Amazon page now where I lifted the 175 LB weight from. Even the official shipping weight on WMH's site appears to be less than 175. The 110 LB works better for my plans of making a rolling cab (not flipping though) for mine too
    Use the fence Luke

On the weight-flipping issue. I have a Delta 22-560 on a flip top cart with nothing on the other side and even at 70 pounds it's not an issue to flip (as long as 2 of the caster are locked).

As for the pivot, any any that runs from one side to the other all the way through the top will have significantly more strength than two pivot pins that only go a few inches into the edge of the top. I think this is the one thing most people change from the Wood Magazine plans. If the pivot rod is run through a channel in the top the of the same size, the pivot rod won't be able to flex because it's capture the entire length. Honestly, I think that you might be able use a 1/4" solid rod run through a 1/4" diameter (or width) channel in the top and through both sides without an issue. But I didn't even try it.

Quote Originally Posted by chet jamio View Post
    I have pretty much the same setup you're building. Mine has a 735 on one side and a 16-32 on the other. It works great.

Chet
    Do you have the infeed/outfeed tables on your sander? I would be interested a couple of pics of your setup since I have the same machines.

edit to say
    I just noticed you have a link to you tube. I'll have to book mark that since I can't access it from my current location.
    Last edited by Michael McCoy; 01-08-2009 at 7:51 AM.

The current plan (revision M or possibly N) is to use a full length piece of 1/2 ID black pipe trapped in the spacers between the sides of the flipping top. The pipe will be trapped and pinned into the top, and the ends will either ride in a bearing of some sort, or possibly in a hard maple "bearing" that will attach to the doubled plywood sides of the case.

The only issue that I have encountered so far is that the motor side of the 16-32 is so much heavier than the open side. After completion of the top I pushed the pipe through and set the sander on it to see how it balanced. Obviously the motor side was on the benchtop. Just for giggles I thought that I would see how much weight would be required to hbring it into balance. I ended up stacking about 35# of lead on the edge of the top before it was even close to balanced! I am not planning to use any additional weight on the stand, but this definitely gave me an idea as to how far off-center I am going to have to moiunt the DW733 to try to bring the whole assembly into some semblance of balance.

Roman

I'll agree from left to right the system is heavy to the motor side, but I think from infeed to outfeed the system would be pretty well balanced. Too bad it was not thought of ahead of so the design could have been modified to allow sander to be mounted such that the motor shaft was parallel to the pivot. In other words, rotating they way you have it currently mounted and thereby balancing the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McCoy View Post
    Do you have the infeed/outfeed tables on your sander?
    No. I've made my workbench the same height as my table saw and my flip carts are about 4" lower. When I mount a planer or drum sander, I shim them up so that the infeed/outfeed height matches the other surfaces. When I use them, I roll the cart between the bench and saw which I use as my infeed and outfeed.