Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments on grizzly table saws.

Comments on grizzly table saws.

I'm looking to get a new saw. I would greatly appreciate any comments on the Grizzly line. I'm interested in the, GO651 10"left w/riving knife, all the ext tables and digital bevel readout.The GO691 10" left w/riving knife and GO623X 10" slider.I have other Grizz tools(G1026 3 H.P.Shaper which by the way took about 3/4" of my middle and ring finger of my right hand last year sorry to say,GO490 jointer.I am very pleased with them,but I always look to you guys for any additional info.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Smile My experience.

Griz VS wood lathe and G0444Z TS. Both have been tools to be proud of. Solid, accurate, price/value relationship is excellent, and I kinda like the color in my shop.
    Would like to add the closed-base 14" BS if I can.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I've had the right-tilt Grizzly cabinet saw for four years and am 100% happy with it. Accurate fence, powerful motor, & holds adjustments very well

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Almeida View Post
    I'm looking to get a new saw. I would greatly appreciate any comments on the Grizzly line.
    Not one to be afraid to voice his opinion, I'll offer mine.

Grizzly consistently makes machines with more feature/function for the price than any other maker of similar machines. They do it by cutting costs, on machine parts, manufacturing costs, and using the least expensive shipping.

Lots of stories of damaged Grizzly machines, but as a whole, there are many, many pleased customers, and Grizzly seems to make good on most of their damage, that's a good thing.

I think the Grizzly attracts the people that are looking for the most function/feature at the absolute cheapest prices.

Somehow we are supposed to feel good about our country going down the toilet, as folks continue to buy these offshore built machines that continue to knock a nickel/dime/quarter off the price of the purchase. To me it seems that part of the ability in doing that is in taking ideas that were developed elsewhere, and incorporated into products that are built offshore.

Delta had taken their manufacturing offshore, but recently have brought at least some of it back. I personally hope this trend continues.

I'm not dissing Grizzly for offering more function/feature at the lowest price, it does satisfy a lot of folks. Just that I think we should think about where/how we spend our money before it is too late.

I'm more impressed with the Steel City line of tools in comparison, but don't own any. I do own one Grizzly mini-mill, it's a prime example of function/feature vs. cost. Sure glad I bought it used.

That said, most of my machines are vintage machines built in America. Even by buying used, I keep my $$$s in America, and I rather like that.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

As you know first hand, woodworking can be dangerous. Even when you think you are being careful and doing everything right. It's what you don't know that can get you. After woodworking for over 40 years and having two blade strikes, I purchased a Saw Stop. I wish all my machines had the technology of the Saw Stop. I think you can't afford not to have one.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    I'm more impressed with the Steel City line of tools in comparison, but don't own any. I do own one Grizzly mini-mill, it's a prime example of function/feature vs. cost.
    Why? Steel City's machinery is either built in the same factory or one across the street. Grizzly innovation exceeds SC innovation IMHO, but I only say that because I can't handle granite tops on TS...

The mini-mill is probably the poorest example of equipment sold by Grizzly, and has been produced unchanged for 10 years or more. That is a very poor frame of reference to grade Grizzly on. You need to look at some of the new equipment that they have come out with in the last 5 years to really appreciate their machinery line.

I'm looking to get a new saw. I would greatly appreciate any comments on the Grizzly line. I'm interested in the, GO651 10"left w/riving knife, all the ext tables and digital bevel readout.The GO691 10" left w/riving knife and GO623X 10" slider.I have other Grizz tools(G1026 3 H.P.Shaper which by the way took about 3/4" of my middle and ring finger of my right hand last year sorry to say,GO490 jointer.I am very pleased with them,but I always look to you guys for any additional info.

Greg, you might find some information on the G0651 and the G0623X, but there is nothing on the G0691 yet. In fact, Grizzly doesn't even have it in stock yet. Due in the end of this month, but could be after that if history repeats itself. I got that from an email asking about the trunnions on it vs the 1023. You can, however down load the instruction manual from their site. I've got a copy here on my computer desk to serve as a reminder to save my pennies. Seems to be fairly well written, and/or translated. For me, it seems to be the best compromise between quality and price. (Sure, I'd rather have the General 650R, but at twice the price, I know that isn't going to happen unless I fall into a bunch of money I don't know about...then it'll be a MM slider anyway. ) That is, unless the trunnion is inferior. It appears to be a slightly lighter built trunnion than the 1023, but it is hard to tell from the pictures. Plus, those pictures could be pre production ones that aren't representative of the saw at all. That could be good or bad. Time will tell. Good luck with your research. Please post back with what you find, and what you decide. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Greg,

I can't help you with the models you are looking at. However my buddy just bought a 1023 SLX and set it up in my shop. So far so good. We are not finished setting it up completely, but hope to finish it here soon.

Fit and finish wise, we have not encountered anything that has not been corrected by following the manual.

What we have cut so far has been right on. Table was flat using my Lee Valley straightedge.

I have an old 16" Grizzly bandsaw, 9"disc 6" belt sander, and 20" planer. I have not had problems from any. Definitely have been the best bang for the buck.

My dream saw is a SawStop. I will eventually have one. However I do not have the $$$$ to drop on one right now. I am not willing to stop woodworking until I can afford one.

I am 100% for buying US made when it is a smart choice. Since most all saws are offshore (except for the new UNI), you may as well get the best bang for the buck.

I would love to have a shop full of the best rated machines, but I don't make a living with tools and I am far from being independently wealthy. So I buy what I consider to be the best deal for the money I have allocated. Any more it seems to be always pointing to Grizzly. (Steel City has been on my wish list at one time or another.)

Good luck with your decision. I don't think you can go wrong with a Grizzly.

Josh

Greg;
    I have owned and used the GO651 since July '08.
    While I cannot speak of other brands since I upgraded from a 1986 Buffalo Contractors saw, I can say that I think the 651 is a superior saw which meets and exceeds all of my expectations. I guess the proof is in the pudding, I have ripped 8/4 cherry and walnut without a whimper from the saw and it remains accurate and square it this day. What more can you expect from a table saw? I have not had one problem with it and don't expect to.
    A lot can be said about buying American and it is a very valid point which I believe in however, at the time I purchased my saw, there were no other options with new saws.
    That being said, if I were to do it all over again, I would certainly look at and feel the Delta and Grizzly and make my choice from there.
    As far as I'm concerned, The 651 is a outstanding piece of machinery which I plan on using for decades to come.
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
    Why? Steel City's machinery is either built in the same factory or one across the street.
    I've never been to the factories, so not sure. My only gage is by the perception I get as a potential customer.
    Grizzly innovation exceeds SC innovation IMHO, but I only say that because I can't handle granite tops on TS...
    Where I kinda like the idea of having granite, and see that as innovative. Grizzly has a bunch of features they added to their saws that look like they borrowed the ideas from European saws.
    The mini-mill is probably the poorest example of equipment sold by Grizzly, and has been produced unchanged for 10 years or more.
    Actually it serves my point well. The mini-mill is not manufactured by Grizzly, as most of their machines aren't. It seems many of the same machines are re-badged as various machines, could even be the same ones that Steel City uses. That is not a very innovative industry, IMO.

I am not impressed with price point alone, probably why I don't have Grizzly machines in my shop. The mini-mill served it's purpose for me, until I could get a real mill. But there are a lot of people that do shop on price point as being the biggest concern. For many of those, Grizzly offers the function/features to make them comfortable in spending their $$$s. We all get to vote with our pocket book, however we spend our $$$s.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

I have had my G0651 for 6 months and have no problems with it. Here's some information on it.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88178

I have the Grizzly 1023SL and its been great to me.

I have lots of opinions on overseas manufacturing, and dont really want to venture into that arena. Lets just say, the manufacturing part is a pretty small part of the puzzle. Once you bring in all the shipping, distribution, sales, service, proffesionals, buildings, etc. the overall economic impact is much wider than the manufacturing.

... which by the way took about 3/4" of my middle and ring finger of my right hand last year sorry to say,
    ...but I always look to you guys for any additional info.

Uhh, no, no input from me thanks.
    I still have all of my fingers. So I think I'll keep them out of your input.
    (Though I did saw half way threw my left pinky before I stopped on my bandsaw once.)
    You can provide your own input.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    Grizzly consistently makes machines with more feature/function for the price than any other maker of similar machines. They do it by cutting costs, on machine parts, manufacturing costs, and using the least expensive shipping.

Hi again Alan! I'm not sure that the above statement is accurate (at least regarding table saws), though for an outsider like me it's hard to judge what, how, and why Grizzly does what they do. Compared to their import competitors like Jet, GI, Steel City, some PM, and some Delta, etc., Grizzly cuts costs of their machines by leaving out the middleman and offering product directly from their 3 showrooms as opposed to using a dealer network, not by using cheaper materials than their competitors. AFAIK, the quality of parts, materials, and design are very comparable to other Asian imports, but compared to top shelf tools like the Canadian made General and US made PM machines, the materials used by Grizzly and other imports are definitely cheaper in many cases.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    AFAIK, the quality of parts, materials, and design are very comparable to other Asian imports, but compared to top shelf tools like the Canadian made General and US made PM machines, the materials used by Grizzly and other imports are definitely cheaper in many cases.
    I think we are in agreement here Scott. Most all the Asian machines are good enough for all hobbyist. Much of the Asian machines are made in the same factories most likely with different badges on them. Not much innovative about that, IMO. Although I have never been to or seen one of the factories.

I am slowly getting rid of Asian machines in my shop. I'm pretty close, only have a band saw and a drill press, both Jet.
    --