Thread: Walnut Queen Anne Tilt top

Walnut Queen Anne Tilt top

Team,

I finished the tilt top today she's solid Walnut, Air Dried, Non steamed

Finished with Danish oil and Pre cat lacquer.

Mark

Resize 1.jpg

Resize 2.jpg

Resize 3.jpg

Resize 4.jpg

Resize 5.jpg

As a Queen Ann lover I would really like to hear more about tthe twist pedestle.

Post was not difficult just a lot of hand work with a Japanese rasp. The trick is in the layout, this post is a 3 spoke twist so you divide the dia in to 3 sections and draw lines length ways. Next divide the total length in to equal sections sized based on the pitch of the twist you want and draw lines around the piece. At that point your post will look like a checker board. Then you play connect the dots with a saw to start and then a rasp and finally sand until your fingers want to fall off.

Mark

Ever try a router lathe?
    Nice table.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Did it old school

Router lathe would be a nice toy to have but in this case I just did the post old school.

Mark

Beautiful work Mark
    I love the color of air dried walnut
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very nice, Mark. Kudo's on doing it "old school" as there is a certain satisfaction not having to rely on a machine for everything.

Sarge..

Wow. Very nice post (a little double entendre intended there!). I think I understand what you are saying about laying out the spirals, but did you cut a little V notch with a hand saw to get started? What did you do to ensure a consistent depth? Did you start with a cylinder turned on lathe? Sorry for so many questions, I'm just eager to absorb as much as possible about new techniques (and for me, every technique is new!).

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Warford View Post
    Wow. Very nice post (a little double entendre intended there!). I think I understand what you are saying about laying out the spirals, but did you cut a little V notch with a hand saw to get started? What did you do to ensure a consistent depth? Did you start with a cylinder turned on lathe? Sorry for so many questions, I'm just eager to absorb as much as possible about new techniques (and for me, every technique is new!).
    Yes the cylinder is of coarse turned in a lathe in fact I do all the work with the piece clamped in the lathe. With the piece clamped between centers its held well for the hand carving.

No I don't cut a V notch with the saw just make a cut the width of the blade I use a masking tape line on the blade to control depth. Then I use a V shaped carving tool to start the notch once you open it up a little the rasp does a good job. I use a small round rasp to get to the root of the spiral then widen it out with a Japanese style rasp.

I first learned this process from a video produced by Charles Neil you should search his name in youtube. This guy is a master of the trade and a good guy.

Mark