Thread: Spraying Laquer

Spraying Laquer

I'm trying to get things finished up around the shop before the March 1st "Pond-Voyage" party (see BP support Forum) and I need to get some finish on the Shop cab I'm about done sanding. Spraying Laq is so much quicker than brushing on poly but I can only do it in the Garage with a window open and a fan blowing out the fumes. That leads to the temperature question. How low am I safe to go? The garage can be heated, I could spray, evacuate the fumes and then reheat. What do you think?

Thanks!
    Mac

Re: Spraying Laquer

Originally posted by D.McDonnel "Mac"
    I'm trying to get things finished up around the shop before the March 1st "Pond-Voyage" party (see BP support Forum) and I need to get some finish on the Shop cab I'm about done sanding. Spraying Laq is so much quicker than brushing on poly but I can only do it in the Garage with a window open and a fan blowing out the fumes. That leads to the temperature question. How low am I safe to go? The garage can be heated, I could spray, evacuate the fumes and then reheat. What do you think?

Thanks!
    Of course, safety-wise, you shouldn’t spray indoors. That said, I’ve done it without incident. I did not use a fan but I warmed up the garage, shot a coat, opened the door, ventilated the garage, repeat as necessary. You do have to be careful not to get too much over spray.
    Make sure you wear a respirator though.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have sprayed Nitrocellulose as low as 8 degrees centigrade and waterborne acrylic as low as 12 degrees. Below these temperatures I get all sorts of problems such as crazing and slow drying.

Experiment first if you don't want to have to strip and start over! (DAMHIKT)
    Chris

The reason I'm a lacquer fan...

...is because of the weather conditions. I have rush jobs constantly. My shop is subject to the weather. I can adjust the cold with a little heat. Toughest is the heat. You do need to keep different thinners handy. Slow and hot for the conditions that prevail.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

A respirator with organic vapor cartridges should take care of the fumes, or are you more worried about the potential for fire or explosion?
    Scott Loven

Scott, this is a very old thread, you may not get a reply.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow,this is an old thread.

A very slight tangent,but has always interested me........Several areas,one is spraybooths another is DC,throw in a bit of machine DC port design as well...that you never see any mention of make-up air represented in the sales pitch.Yes,I realize the obvious,just interesting,carry on.

New record for oldest thread dug up?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    New record for oldest thread dug up?
    Quite possibly, considering that the original post was made just 3(?) days after the beginning of SMC.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore