Thread: woodcrafts 5 week course in woodturning

woodcrafts 5 week course in woodturning

one night a week. anybody take it? do you recommend it for a newb like me? it's a bit pricy - $190 - so I was looking for a recomendation or a not recommend before commiting....

I have no real experience in turning, just been watching a lot of videos and doing alot of reading for the past few weeks...

Thanks for any info you can share.

It depends who the instructor is. Teaching is a different talent.
    My experience has been some of classes pay too much emphasis on getting the finished project home. With the constrain of time and the back ground of other students, some time you may end up getting too much of the instructor's handy work. It may be a little challenging when you are on your own at home.
    Find a local chapter in your area, some of them offer free or almost free hands-on mentoring programs to new turners.
    http://www.woodturner.org/community/...t=Chapter+List
    Generally you will find woodturners are very generous helping each others. The culture has been someone helped me, and returning the same courtesy by passing on the knowledge to others.
    I belong to two Clubs, each has 6 to 12 club lathes for holding turning classes for members. They only charge $5 to cover the cost of wood used in class.
    Gordon

Gordon,

I'm not familiar with the course, so I cannot comment on it's quality. If there is a lathe for each participant and a small number of students (so the instructor can spend time with each student), it could be a good deal. You'd have a full week between lessons to work on what you'd been taught.

One thing to consider: The cost of a 5 day course at Craft Supplies USA ranges from $495 to $850, but that's for a full day of instruction -- not an evening. In addition, you'll pay for hotel & meals. Here's a link: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...schedule?Args=

Gordon, If you would like I could show you any thing you might want to learn! So how much would it cost you to come up to Eau claire for some one on one personal instruction! I have 3 lathes and all the tools that you may need to get any thing turned. If you had a free weekend or any time at all I would be glad to make the coffee and supply the wood just to get you started! Send me a PM and we can figure it out if that is something that might interest you.

Glad to help!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Jeff,
    Gordon is a pretty accomplished turner although he will not blow his own horn,
    if he has a fault it is that he very seldom does anything twice so the first piece is most always primo quality. There are not very many questions on woodturning that he could not answer. I do hope that a new turner closer to you will ask for your help as it is great that you offered.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Gordon, If you would like I could show you any thing you might want to learn! So how much would it cost you to come up to Eau claire for some one on one personal instruction! I have 3 lathes and all the tools that you may need to get any thing turned. If you had a free weekend or any time at all I would be glad to make the coffee and supply the wood just to get you started! Send me a PM and we can figure it out if that is something that might interest you.

Glad to help!

Jeff
    that sounds like the best deal!

Gordon, the Madison, WI area has an excellent chapter of the AAW and you have already been directed to a link where you can find it. Here is their chapter information.

Meetings
    Meeting Location:
    Wood Craft Store 616 Westgate Mall
    Madison, WI

Meeting Info: 1st Tuesday
    Contact Information
    Dave Hiller
    7038 Farmers Grove Rd
    Monticello, WI 53570
    Phone: 608-527-3661
    Email: davehiller@tds.net
    General Information Number of Members: 72
    Service Info: Madison are

Dave Hiller is a friend of mine and a wonderful guy as well as an excellent turner. As you can see they meet at the Madison Woodcraft store and the Woodcraft program is likely being taught by one of their members so Dave may be able to give the best answer to your question. In any case, join their club...it will save you time, money and frustration because you'll learn so much more than striking out on you own.

Cyril

Courses at Woodcraft are local affairs and are totally dependent upon the skills and teaching abilities of the particular instructor. Sometimes a local franchise owner will bring in "big name" or at least well-known instructors, but quite often they are local folks who are supplementing their income by teaching courses.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gordon,

I took the course at Madison Woodcraft about a year ago. Same instructor for the next session. It was a good course, lathe for everyone and learned the basics of spindle and bowl woodturning and tool sharpening. Good Value.

Please come by for the next meeting of the Badger Woodturners as mentioned previously in this thread. The Badger Woodturners have a number of mentors who would work with you improving your skills.

Jack Graham
    VP of Badger Woodturners
    608 628 5232

Which Gordon are you talking about? The Gordon who started the thread said he was a newb, meaning no or very little experience. Just trying to clarify why he would ask for help and want to take classes if he makes every piece just once......

Confused in Eau Claire,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

thanks all

thank you all for the advice and input. I appreciate it.

Jeff - I might just have to take you up on your very kind offer, come this spring. I'd combine it with my one other passion - motorcycle riding...I smell a road trip - Thank you for this offer.

Thank you for the madison AAW info, it is appreciated.

Gordon, I would be tickled to have you stop in and show me your bike! I always wanted one but when I was young I always wanted to go to fast on them! So if you can make it up I will give you as much turning info and tips as I can! Just let me know when and I might even clean up the shop a bit!!

Thanks,

Jeff