Thread: Large Sign

Large Sign

Hi everyone,
    I have a customer for which I have done a large amount of 6x18" signs on Rowmark Textures material for a local hotel. Now, the customer wants me to make 3 larger signs, like 24x48" (if I do it proportional to the smaller signs, it would be 16x48").

My problem is that there is no way I can fit that size material in my Mini18. I figured that if I removed the front and did the top half then bottom half at most I could do 18x24". I could have my plastic supplier (JDS) do the engraving, but I have not yet asked for a quote, however i would think this would be quite expensive. Of course, I could have other engravers do this, but i'm pretty sure none on the island could do better.

Do you fellow creekers have any suggestions on what to do? Should I pass on these large signs?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michael Bareņo

Epilog Mini18 35watt
    Epilog Helix 75watt
    Oki C8600 Color Laser
    Ricoh GX e3300N Sublimation
    Graphtec FC8000-60
    CorelDraw X5

Michael

How about doing the sign in segments and glueing or taping them to a backboard?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I agree with Mike do them in 12x24 sections because it is mostly text it should not be a problem breaking the sign up into segments.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

I did something like this a few years ago. I fabricated a large sign and cut out two windows. I broke the sign up into two smaller signs, engraved them, and inserted them into the windows much like a picture frame.

Simple... farm it out. Lots of vinyl printers out there, that will print it on vinyl for $5 to $10 per square foot. Apply it to a piece of sintra and there you go.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will compare the cost of doing it in pieces (engraved) and doing this with vinyl. We have gotten much business from this client lately and would hate having to send them somewhere else for this.

Maybe we should be thinking about adding a vinyl printer/cutter in the near future? Currently we are pondering whether we should invest in a second/backup laser, since any breakdown where parts are needed could take a week to get here, even with courier service (mostly due to customs).

Thanks again!
    Michael Bareņo

Epilog Mini18 35watt
    Epilog Helix 75watt
    Oki C8600 Color Laser
    Ricoh GX e3300N Sublimation
    Graphtec FC8000-60
    CorelDraw X5

You wouldn't want to vinyl cut those with a plotter. More so a print job than anything else. Just partner with a local printer who can print vinyl (who, if he's smart, will send you loads of business that he can't do), and you'll be set.

He can probably laminate it and apply it to a substrate as well. The customer will never know who printed it unless you tell them you didn't do it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    You wouldn't want to vinyl cut those with a plotter. More so a print job than anything else. Just partner with a local printer who can print vinyl (who, if he's smart, will send you loads of business that he can't do), and you'll be set.

He can probably laminate it and apply it to a substrate as well. The customer will never know who printed it unless you tell them you didn't do it.
    I agree, this is an application for a large format printer. It would be printed on white vinyl then applied to sintra. You may pay $8-10 SF for the print. Then buy the sintra and apply it.

I personally will not do cut vinyl on anything with that much text under about 3/8" letters, it's a PIA and letters thst small are too easily scratched off.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    And just so there's no mistakes... don't cut the Sintra with the laser as it's a PVC material.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I've done larger signs like that.

Here's the easiest method I found:

• Apply roll vinyl to substrate (lightly).
    • Load into laser through pass-through doors.
    • Kiss-cut the lettering (takes no time)
    • Weed the excess and then permanently affix with a brayer or squeegee.
    • viola!

I know not everyone has pass-through doors, but it allows me infinite width and a sign height of up to 38".

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid