Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Table saw suggestions

How about one of these?

SawStop Contractors saw with Job Site Cart
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

The used market for largish tools like a TS is excellent right now. For a beginner "who ain't so sure", this is a good time to try some things out for not too much cash outlay.... craigslist is your ticket
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Let me make a suggestion. I just bought a used Powermatic 66 for $500, with something like 20 spare blades included. I counted them, but I forgot how many it was. I was amazed at my luck, but since then, I have learned that really good deals aren't that rare. Watch Craigslist and pounce when you see something good. I saw a neat old Atlas for $200 recently. If all I wanted was good used table saws, I could have filled my garage with them this month.

And don't be afraid of used saws. They are very, very simple, and there isn't that much that can go wrong with them. If you have to replace something, you should be able to do it yourself.

The people on this forum were very, very helpful, and I'm sure they'll be helpful to you, too. They can tell you what problems to look for when you check out a saw.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Be Safe

Josh - Welcome to the Creek, a great source for info and even greater group of people.

When I was in your situation about 3 years ago I went with a contractor table saw. They're a good value for the money, and have a good resale value in the event woodworking is not for you. Get a mobile base and you can roll it out of the way when you're not using it.

No matter what you get, make SURE you know how to SAFELY use it. Go slow, get some hands on advise, make sure your techniques are sound. There are numerous threads on the Creek about accidents and near misses.

My first advice to new woodworkers:

"NEVER buy the best you can afford."

You say you have $1000 for your table saw? I'd go with no more than a $500 or $600 saw and then spend the rest on setting it up well. Build an outfeed table, get some nice blades, a dado set, rollers for the fence and possibly a cross cut sled.

I built a house and much furniture with the BT3000 and it's a good choice.

A better choice is the Rigid. Just today I replaced the motor in mine which is 9 years old. Not bad considering it also built a house and about $500,000 of fine furniture and cabinetry for my small business.
    Don't tell me a casual hobbiest NEEDS anything more than that!

(Now I have a 3Hp Grizzly as my main saw and love it, but you don't need that yet.)

-Steve

Just to throw out a couple of my thoughts...

I quickly moved from a portable saw to a contractor saw. While I was able to get a lot accomplished with the portable, the contractor saw is easier to setup and generally functions better. I bought my current saw for $200 on craigslist and I see deals like this all the time.

As far as what to get for a starter saw: if you're only doing simple parts like squares and rectangles maybe a circular saw is the way to go. Also, if space is an issue, remember that table saws take up a lot more space and sometimes you need a lot of space around you to maneuver your work.

Josh,

Welcome to the creek. You'll find amazingly helpful folks here. Not everyone has the same idea or viewpoint, but all suggestions are from the heart. Personally, I've been doing woodworking for close to 40 yrs. I used a 9" Delta Contractors saw for like 38 of those years and just bought a used 10" Delta Contractors saw at a garage sale this year for $200 from a guy heading back to Europe for military duty. It's in excellent shape. Even though it's not a cabinet or even a hybrid, it will serve me well, and I will make a lot of good quality items. My point is first get acquainted with various brands, options, models, etc. Then attempt to purchase a good used one from a garage sale, craigslist, or similar. A lot of us old guys don't need to purchase new and I suggest you shouldn't, either. Make your money stretch. Another point - keep an eye on the discount section of sawcreek. I just received a new Freud router that Lowes was closing out for $99 - likely a value over $200. Best to you. Let us know if further questions.

Well after a few months of saving my pennies, and lots of reading I bought the Ridgid R4511 Granite Table Saw. I picked it up last Sunday, hopefully tomorrow night I can finish the assembly. Thanks for all of the comments and tips!