Thread: Freud and Putsch Handsaws

Freud and Putsch Handsaws

Anyone have a chance to try them out? I am thinking of getting a panel/crosscut and a rip saw. Freuds are advertised as being made out of Sheffield steel. Putsch is sold by Woodcraft and advertised as German made. I am interested in how well they resharpen.

My head spins when it comes to trying to figure out if i want an antique saw and I am not exactly excited about buying one for refurbing off ebay. And the PAX Lynx saws are waay to expensive.

Besides these two, any other reasonably prices alternatives?

Steven,
    I have a L-n gents dovetail saw that I like a lot for very fine work, but other than that, I strongly favor the older, pre WWII Disstons, both back and panel. You will know them by the apple handles. Just learn to file them, or send them out for filing by a real pro. Problem with all, or almost all, new saws, in my opinion, is that they are machine set, which distorts the metal at the bottom of the gullet, and makes them bind. Even the L-N's are like this, and are much better after this is filed away. BEst way to buy an old DIsston is to see it live, as you want to check the straightness of the blade. Any kink, or any rust pitting near the teeth, and it should be a reject. I think it is worth the trouble, but others probably will disagree. A hand saw is a pretty personal thing in terms of feel and stroke.
    Alan

Hoping I lucked out, stopped by Steve Cooke's website and saw that he had a crosscut DISSTON D 8 1896-1917 for sale, only 45 bucks, definitely not a wallet breaker.

If the saw is right for the kind of wood I plan on cutting, I'm gonna buy it.

Steve,

I have a Freud dovetail saw, filed 20 tpi rip, that wouldn't cut worth a damn right out of the box. I bought it about five or six years ago, was frustrated with it and didn't try it again. I'm not a saw sharpener, and I couldn't find anyone to sharpen the 20 tpi, or willing to re-tooth to 14 or 15 tpi.

About a month or so ago, I put some effort into retrying the saw as supplied new, and my first impression was mild by comparison to my more recent impression. 20 tpi is just to fine, plus the saw wouldn't track worth a damn. I proceeded to stone some of the set away and did manage to get the saw to track decent. I also reshaped the hand to imitate an old Jackson open handled backsaw I have (The Jackson was sharpened by Tom Law and tracks like a hounddog on a scent! Please Mr. Law, sharpen again!). But all in all, I will not use this saw for anything other than loaning.

Long story short: spend your money on an older Disston # 4 or equivalent, or a new L-N, Adria or Sephar Tool Works.

My two cents!

I join your thought that the loss of TOM LAW SHARPENER is a loss to the neanders of the world. As I recall, he was about maxed at 17 tpi, but it could just be CSR that tells me that. Has anyone who knows Tom's sharpening had Mr. Cooke perform the filing surgery so that a comparison might be offered?
    Alan

Alan,

I've had saws sharpened by both, and Steve Cooke does excellent work, at a great price with decent delivery. Steve is better than most of those out there plying their sharpening skills. You would be doing yourself a disservice by not trying him out! I've had him do several D8's, and several backsaws. He did a particularly nice job on a #4 Disston 14 tpi backsaw. Tracks and cuts real nice. Steve was unable to do anything with the Freud 20 tpi backsaw I mentioned earlier.

However, I don't believe there is another Tom Law. I have a D16, D95, Richardson corsscut backsaw, Jackson Rip backsaw, that Tom did, and they all cut like butter, no matter what wood your sawing! The 9 point D16 is my favorite and go-to saw of choice.

T.Z.

Thanks for the info; I will give Mr. Cooke a try. I assume he will hand set, which is to me critical. I sometimes do my own rip saws, but the cross cuts are not within my skill set.
    A saw filed by Tom Law is a wonderful thing. I spent half a day with him, in his basement, as he sharpened some of my students' saws, and it was quite a lesson. He makes it look easier than I think it really is.
    Alan

Alan,

Steve Cooke sharpens by machine or hand--you got to tell him your preferences! Let me make a suggestion, as I have had two batches of saws sharpened by him already: put a piece of masking tape on the saw and specify exactly what and how you want it done.

How far from York do you live? I'm about 4 hours away, and for the first batch of saws I had him do, I decided to take a drive to see his shop and talk to him about how he sharpens. The next batch, I mailed.

He has a pretty decent collection of Disston saws on display, and also has numerous tools for sale. Some of the tools are on consignment and some he owns. He also has literally boxes of handsaws in a backroom, that he has accumulated over the years. He says he has not really examined or cataloged everything in storage! Incidentally, Steve is a retired Navy man.

T.Z.

I think I will test drive him. I am probably 3 hrs away, but won't drive there as that is a full day. If I am in the area, mayby next Spring's Patina show, I will stip by. He is probably at that show anyway.
    Thanks for your help on this issue. If you are going to be in the PHila area, give me a shout.
    Alan