Thread: Gloat and Question

Talking Gloat and Question

Hi - I just wanted to gloat about my new drill press that was dropped off about noon. I got this from Max Tools on ebay. The price was $579 with free lift-gate shipping and I was able to use 30% MS cashback (right after Thanksgiving), making the whole thing $405 It did take a little while to get here from Delta, but for that price, I could wait.

Now for the question: Does anyone have their drill press mounted on a mobile base? I work in half of a small basement, so mobility would be nice because this ways around 250 pounds. And I should know - it was a bear getting it in the house and down the stairs. I bolted the cast iron base to a piece of plywood, as the instructions say, but I could remove it. I am worried about this tipping when I move it, so I am not sure if this is the way to go. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

And now here is the obligatory picture - so you all can see it did happen (I'll post another when I get it together)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

nice gloat. I have my DP on a mobile base and then put a bag of sand on the foot (probably 75lbs.) I find the key to moving it around is to go slowly and to steady the top with one hand. just make sure if you use a base that it can lock in place before using.

A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I've go my radial mounted on a 2' X 2' X 3/4" ply base which sits in an HTC mobile frame. The large base (same size as the DP table) provides nice storage too. Just move it with typical care.

Brian, those both look like they would handle the weight. with the woodcraft one you might be able to bolt the DP to the plywood base. are either of those stores are close to you or would you be ordering online?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    Now for the question: Does anyone have their drill press mounted on a mobile base?
    Here's what I did. It's really stable, cheap, and easy to build. I move it around the garage when I'm cleaning up and have no fears of it falling.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

That's a nice looking box Brian. Congratulations.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

This is what I did with mine and it is stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Dahl View Post
    Brian, those both look like they would handle the weight. with the woodcraft one you might be able to bolt the DP to the plywood base. are either of those stores are close to you or would you be ordering online?
    I've actually got both of them near me now. I have the Rockler base under my 500+ pound SC granite topped table saw, and it works fine. There is some room for improvement with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    Here's what I did. It's really stable, cheap, and easy to build. I move it around the garage when I'm cleaning up and have no fears of it falling.
    Wow, that's really nice Randy. And a lot of bolts I'll have to consider something like that too now.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    That's a nice looking box Brian. Congratulations.
    Are you making fun of me I'll have some pictures of the assembled dp tomorrow, after I decide which base to go with and get it under the machine.

Well now, it's already on a mobile base in that picture.
    Oh, you want to take it off that wagon, huh?

Lots of ways to skin a cat. But not me, I have my WWII Delta mounted and bolted down.
    Lord help me if that 500 pound monster tipped over!

Did you know cast iron can break? Well it can, especially if it falls.

Enjoy your new Drill Press! Be careful.

Here are the pictures of the assembled DP and it's base. I bolted the DP to a plywood base, as the instructions say, and then set that in the mobile base and bolted them together. I'll probably add a 60 or 75# tube sand to it for some more weight. I moved it around a little tonight, just to get a feel for it, and it didn't seem too bad. I will be beyond extra careful when moving it in the future though. I really don't want to have to buy a new one if this were to break when it hit the floor.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ahh see guys I told you he bought a drill press and not just a box!! Enjoy the new toy Brian!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.