Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

Smile "Weekend Doin's"

Friday January 9, 2009

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

For the majority of you, I think this is the first full work week since the week before Christmas. If you're like my wife, that is kind of a bummer. Amazing how quickly one becomes used to 3 or 4 day work weeks.

It's snowing here again. 3-5" is predicted, which should put us over 50" for the season so far. It's a really fine light snow as the temp is only 10º so it shouldn't be too hard to shovel.

I hope all of you in the upper Northwest will come through the flooding and rain OK. I'm wondering if the locusts are on their way this spring?

This is really getting old, but no WW'ing for me this weekend. Just going to be too cold to try and heat the shop. At least there are a few football games to watch.

So, what's on your agenda for the weekend? Whatever it might be, please make it a SAFE weekend.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

I've been sick most of the week. Not badly, but still sick enough that I don't want to push it. So I'll be taking this weekend off and resting up and trying to get well.
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

Going to attempt to make it to Milwaukee tomorrow to meet up with my dad at the Woodworking Show. At haven't been in a few years and thought I would give it a try one more time... let's see how bad it is this year

Oh - and more snow shoveling
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Blog Entries
    I plan on finishing my Barrister Bookcases and hopefully put the final White USL Finish on the Plantation Shutters. Hopefully I can hang them too.

Well, Ive got a slew of projects lined up:

Dining room table to seat 8.

2 chairs for the dining room table.

A hutch for our kitchen

My wife is pregnant (found out right before christmas) so a crib/cradle/changing table are in the works.

I am taking a small road trip tomorrow to pick up a 5hp 3ph delta motor that was given to me.

Also, wrapping up a restoration on a delta 1460 lathe.

So, not technically ALL this weekend, but a lot of the planning will be taking place.

I won't be working on projects yet, but this weekend will prep me:
    1) finish tweaking brand new 490x jointer - adjust fence, etc
    2) finish tweaking brand new 453z planer - ensure table/cutter parallel, etc
    3) sharpen the new LN mortise chisels and new LN 4.5 blade
    4) finish organizing the shop since the tool additions.
    5) spend some time on the table saw making sure blade/table are square, etc.

Then, find a first project to work on.

Alex: Congrats on the new coming family member!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMorgan of Lititz View Post
    I won't be working on projects yet, but this weekend will prep me:
    1) finish tweaking brand new 490x jointer - adjust fence, etc
    2) finish tweaking brand new 453z planer - ensure table/cutter parallel, etc
    3) sharpen the new LN mortise chisels and new LN 4.5 blade
    4) finish organizing the shop since the tool additions.
    5) spend some time on the table saw making sure blade/table are square, etc.

Then, find a first project to work on.

Alex: Congrats on the new coming family member!
    Thank you very much!!!

Congrats, Alex!!

Today, I'm home taking care of my son - he caught a nasty stomach bug. It seems everyone in my house was sick over the holidays, including me. I'm also finishing up a wall-mounted panel w/ towel hooks that will go in the bathroom. I decided my 3 and 5-year old boys can hang up their own towels after they shower!

My wife and I will finalize a design for a 2-person garden bench that will go in the cemetery near my father-in-law's grave site. I think I'll make it out of red cedar because I like working with it and I'm a little worried about theft (it's a rural cemetery). I'll probably attach the base to ground anchors to at least frustrate the heck out of a would-be thief.

I've got a shop full of air-dried walnut and a need to get rid of my college and hand-me down bedroom furniture. So a bedroom set is next and will probably be my weekend doin's for the next couple years!

By the way, happy 2009 to everybody - I love this forum!!

Equestrian activities for a good part of Saturday, including the first ride in my new saddle. Then, I'm back in the shop working on the upper cabinets for my office...the ones that go over my credenza. I have to sand and finish the face frame and make the shelves before moving on to installation in the house. Will also be helping a friend mill and size some material he will be using to build some baseboard heating covers for his home nearby.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

working on my shop this weekend. finished up the electrical work i needed to finish tonight and started installing insulation. going to hopefully get it to the point where i can start building some cabinets for storage and get everything organized for a change!

I will be coring coring and more coring. Oh yeah and generally laying around between coring!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I continue to work on cabinets for my workshop. They are much needed.

Finish a HF I started before Christmas....watch some foot ball....clean the shop
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Worked as usual, but this weekend I get a bit of time to play. Having HD TV cable & internet and installed./..gonna save over $85 a month over what we have now and for the first time in 30 years...no home phone!

NTRAK meeting Saturday morning, then back to the shop to finish building the benchwork for two POFF (2'x4' modules, very lightweight) for a guy in the club. Technically, my second paying woodworking job, the first was two previous POFFs for the fellow.

Also, putting some finish on a gift for my mom's birthday so I can get it on a fast boat to Hawaii in time, and moving forward with a bookcase I'm working on with a friend.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.