Thread: Delta Rockwell 34-440 contractors saw

Delta Rockwell 34-440 contractors saw

Hello,
    I recently purchased a 34-440 model Rockwell 10" table saw. I think the saw is a late 1970's/early 1980's vintage.The saw runs good with little vibration. The arbor bearings seem to be tight when tugged on from above. The saw makes more noise than my old Sears 10'' saw, however, there is no loud squealing, etc. just a growling type noise. The motor does not make any noise when run with the belt off. The belt is old and the pulleys are stamped sheet metal.

Do any of you have experience with similar saws?
    Do you think I need to replace arbor bearings?
    Should I replace pulley's, belt, etc. and leave bearings alone unless they get much worse?

I have only had the saw a couple of days and have just started to try to tune it, calibrate it, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan Keenum

In a word, yes. The belt will probably prove to make the most difference, especially if you go with a link belt. As for the bearings run the saw without a blade and see what it sounds like, and after a few min. carefully touch the bearing housing to see if it is more than just a little warm. If it is still real noisy and/or very hot to the touch then new bearings are in order.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Link belt and machined pulleys can make a world of difference.... of course prefaced by : if they are not working right to begin with. I have to imagine a new belt at the least may be the way to go, then see how it acts/sounds. Also, may need a good cleaning, lube?

The *growling* is most certainly dry, worn bearings! Replacing the bearings on a contractor-type saw is not too hard, but you will need an exploded drawing of the parts list to help re-assemble exactly as you took it apart. You will appreciate your saw even more after the install. The saw is best worked on upside down on a low table. You will thank me for advising you of this later! And, while you are *under the hood* lubricate the raise/lower, and tilt shafts in their housings.

I tore a 34-348 completely apart, cleaned and painted every part, then used the saw for 15 years. The addition of a better T-square-type fence will complete your *keeper* and make you happy when you saw wood!

In addition to new bearings, machined pulleys and a Power-Twist link belt will make your Delta/Rockwell a *keeper* until you get Unisaw fever.*
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Stan,

I have a Delta 34-441 contractors saw that I am parting out, there is a good bearing and I also have the performance package from In-Line Industries, plus their PALS system. If you are interested I am sure that we can work something out, I have other parts if needed.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Thanks to each of you for your input. This is my first Delta table saw (and an old one at that). I likely will need more advice as I go along. I have bought a linked belt and I am looking for pulleys. The more I hear the saw run per you folks instruction, the more I am convinced bearing replacements are an eventual repair (maybe sooner rather than later). I welcome any/all other ideas regarding this matter.

Heather, I have sent you a PM regarding your parts.

Thanks again to each of you,

Stan

Bearings are 6203 RS. These can be had from several sources, often for as little as $2.00 I usually order in lots of 10, as this is one of the most common bearings in use in my world. Alternators, electric motors, idler pulleys, etc. Same bearing also fits you saw's motor. You might want to order four. Enough for arbor, and motor.Remember bearings in motor are the same age as ones in arbor. AutoZone will lend you a bearing puller. I have two of these saws, along with a couple of the newer 10" contractor's saws. Also have a Uni in shop. Arbor on Uni uses same bearings. Don't ask why so many saws- they were too good of a deal to resist.

Delta/Rockwell 34-440 parts

Sorry, I'm new to the forum and don't mean to hijack this thread, but I wanted to ask Heather Thompson if she still has parts for sale for the 34-440 table saw. I'm looking for the elevator screw and handle. If I should have contacted her more directly, I'd appreciate any help in doing so. Thanks!