Thread: Importing text from PDF

Question Importing text from PDF

Hi all,
    I'm trying to import text from a PDF file that has several fonts in it. (I'm using CDR 12)
    My process is
    Select all text in the PDF
    Select paste special - Select either Rich Text or Text - or
    Select paste - maintain fonts and formating
    OK
    Convert to artistic text

Trouble is, it pastes all of the text in Cooper Black (I need the first line to be Jester and the other 2 Arial, same as the PDF doc- there are nultiple rows and colums. They are for different size and shape name badges. I'm still trying to get the hang of print merge, but don't seem to be able to at this point becasue of the different shapes. So if I can get the paste thing working properly that'll be a start)
    I've attached my settings. I have both Jester and Arial as fonts on my computer.
    Any ideas on how to resolve this problem ? I've got to be doing something simple wrong, but just can't seem to put my finger on it.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Griffiths
    45W Epilog Helix 610 x 450
    CDR X4
    Vista

Have you tried importing/insterting the whole pdf into Corel as opposed to pasting text?

Shaddy

Hi Shaddy,
    Thanks for your responce.
    When I import the whole doc, I get the attached message.
    I change the Hel. to arial and the other one to Jester and Visa Versa for a trial. When I go Ok the doc pastes the arial ok but the Jester is missing.

When I select the text and drag it into the cdr I get Cooper Black again

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Griffiths
    CDR X4
    Vista

Maybe the Jester font is named something else on your computer. Try it with show all fonts, it might allow you to choose your own selection.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks Frank,
    I emailed the jester font to my customer so I'm hoping it's the sme and nothing happened when he installed it.
    I just noticed on another PDF (WITH THE SAME INFORMATION) that what he has as arial is now Helvetic Normal and what I think is jester is now TTE17612C8t00-NORMAL..

Strange things going on here

Regards
    David Griffiths
    CDR X4
    Vista

I guess so. The other alternative is to get them to email you all of the fonts that they used in their pdf. Copy them into the fonts folder and the problem might cease.

OR!! If they have something that will convert everything to curves, you won't have to worry about what fonts are on your system.. But unfortunately sometimes it becomes a task just to explain 'curves' to your customer
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I think once it gets converted to curves, there is no going back, it can never be a font again.

OK,
    This has been bugging me all weekend and after taking on board all of your guys good suggestions it got me thinking.
    1. Why is it showing up as Helvetic and the other font when it is supposed to be Arial and Jester when I use the Panose substitue tool ?
    After a bit of research and saving a similar document myself (which imported beautifully) it has to when the document is converted to Adobe my client has a lesser version of Adobe than I have. He may not have embeded Arial and Jester into his settings, hence it converts to Helvetic and the other name, hence again because I haven't got the Adobe Jester Substitue I can't get it come across.

To learn more about embedding you will need the full version of adobe, click on How To ?, then Complete Acrobat 6.0 (?) Help, then Search , type in Font Options and click on Font Options (ADOBE PDF settings)

Another one of these 10 cent jobs that costs a fortune

Anyway, I'll ring him tomorrow a.m. and do a bit of detective work and hopefully I can make money out of the next 10 cent job.

Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys are really great and I hope by this I have contributed in some small way to the learning bank.
    I'll update as some as I get it sorted

Thanks heaps
    David Griffiths
    CDR X4
    Vista

Seems I was right.
    Once my client updated to the full version of Adobe, made a few changes to the fonts settings, presto, I can now import direct.

Thanks to all for your help.

Regards
    David Griffiths
    CDR X4
    Vista

I have been in the prepress industry for over 20 years and fonts are one of the biggest issues that you can deal with. It use to be standard practice that when a customer gave you a file to work with they either changed all there fonts to outlines so there wasn't any issue or they included a fonts folder that had all the fonts they used in the file. Since there are hundred of versions of the same font same name using your font to replace the customers does not always work. Now with everyone creating there own work at home no one understands this and it has become a bigger problem.
    An idea might be to import into Corel as curves instead of placing the text. This will eliminate the font issue but will not give you the ability to work with the text if needed.
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press

Thanks Doug.
    You're 100% on the money with the issue of the same font being called a miriad of different names. A real pain sometimes

I thought of the curves, however there is the very odd occassion where I need to abreviate the text to fit the space, so I needed to do the fonts thing.
    I guess something good has come of this for me, in that I know how to troubleshoot this now, albeit at a very large chunk of time. I guess learning costs no matter what shape it takes.

Regards
    David Griffiths
    CDR X4
    Vista

Here is a tutorial which may help with your fonts.

http://www.unleash.com/articles/fonts/fontmanage.html
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Mike,
    A couple of good tips in that lot.

Regards
    David Griffiths