Thread: Grizzly 490x parallel table issue...

Grizzly 490x parallel table issue...

Hi folks,

Just got my new 490x setup this past week and had orginally posted that I thought my fence had a slight twist in it. After a bit closer inspection last night before running out to dinner w/ the wife, I realized I had not properly checked parallel on the tables w/ the cutterhead.

A quick and dirty check w/ my incra square is proving the infeed table to be slightly off w/ TDC of the blade. I didn't measure exactly how much, but against the fence, the straightedge just touches the TDC of the blade, along the opposite side of the bed, it doesn't touch the cutter at all. So, inotherwords, when you are standing at the maching in the "working" stance, that side of the infeed table is slightly higher.

How much messing around is it to get this gap closed? The book says it could take up to an hour to adjust parallel. Is it difficult to do? Part of me is concerned i will make it worse.

This is my first jointer, btw, so maybe I'm a bit more apprehensive than necessary.

John if I am reading you right you are saying the infeed table is higher on the side away from the fence, if that is true I would check the infeed compared to the outfeed before I adjusted anything. Bring the outfeed up to level with the infeed and see if they are level on the outboard and the fence side. if not then I would proceed with the adjustment outlined in the manual. Also if you have good straight edge ensure there is no twist in the infeed or you will be chasing the adjustment all day.
    good luck
    Larry

By the way if you do decide to make the adjustment make sure you mark the current position of the eccentric bushings before you loosen the setscrews so you can always get back to where you started.
    Larry

Yep, you read me right, Larry. I will use a long straightedge this afternoon to verify I wasn't rushing through things.

As of now though, the outfeed table is parallel to the cutter, but the infeed is not.

Good point on marking those eccentric bushings - i probably would not have done that. That's the type of advice i need! I usually jump headfirst and then decide to think later.