Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got a Drill Doctor?

Anyone got a Drill Doctor?

Just wondering if they are worth the $$ and work as advertised. I was watching a late night infomercial and came close to wanting one....but so far I have resisted TV products like Flowby's, and George Foreman Grills.
    Last edited by Bob Slater; 01-10-2009 at 8:10 PM.

Bob, I have one and it works great. I bought one of the upper end models so I could modify some bits to use for drilling metal, I would think an entry level one would be fine.

I was raised and taught by machinists how to sharpen my own drill bits and have done so for years. but I did buy the DD and really love it. on small bits especially it really works very well. good money spent

4. Got mine as a gift, I think it works great. I always carry a bunch of old bits for drilling plaster and such and this thing gives new life to them all.

Bob,
    My bride gave me the model 500 (capacity up to 1/2") for Christmas a few years ago.
    I exchanged it for the model 750 to get the additional chuck for bits to 3/4".
    Very happy with the package and will not give it up until I no longer use drill press or pistol drill.
    I can buy worn bits at garage sales/flea markets for a dollar a fistful and bring 'em back to life. (Avoid any mangled on the chucked end.) Have bought Huot index boxes and built multiple sets for friends and the kids.

Good bang for the buck.

BobV

Reread both the above posts. I agree they are great if you want to change angles (material being drilled) and haven't got a lot of experience with doing so on a grinder.

I worked in a garage for a bit, and the grinder wheels always need work or replacing. They are fine for general shaping of the bit, but not finish sharpening. I also need sharp left handed bits as well as large ones (the reason I bought the 750x model DD).
    Look at the size of bits you use. After the initial sharpening, you tend to only touch up, unless you find some good bits at a garage sale (BTDT). For home, I would have probably bought the lower end model, rough shaped broken bits on the grinder and sharpened on the DD. When I left the garage, my DD came home with me (they do ask to borrow occasionally three blocks away).
    Unless you need it now, watch for a sale though. When I bought mine (Amazon), I purchased it for $99.

I have one and wouldn't be without it.

I do have the small one and that servers my needs just fine.

Bob,

I opted for the 500 as well. I think it does pretty much everything the 750 does with the exception handling up to 3/4 inch diameter bits, the 500 sharpens up to 1/2 inch diameter bits.

I like having it around and now my bits are always sharp when I need them.

I have one but mine is the low end model and if I had to do it again I would have gotten the one that does split points

Yes it works... not a gimmick.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I would sell mine. Make an offer and include shipping from 61705. It is the 500 lower end modle. No box or manual.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

SOLD!!! Thanks for the glowing reviews....Now I am on the hunt for a Deal. Love the idea of buying used junk garage sale bits, especially US made stuff from the previous industrial era. Thanks.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I received the 750 for Christmas a few years ago. I sharpened a bunch of bits with it and it works very well.
    I still prefer to sharpen by hand, it’s just faster.

If you don’t know how to hand sharpen, then it is money well spent
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have the 500 and it works great! I did all my bits when I first got it, and used it sparingly since. I wish it could do split points, but other than that works great. U won't regret it at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    I wish it could do split points
    The Drill Doctor 500X does, take a look at pages 13 through 15 in your owners manual....

I could use one for the pile of old garage sale bits. Seems the 750 offers more bang for the buck. I am not sure what a "split point" is but I am sure I have some in the bottom of the drawer. Could someone describe what it is? Thanks, JCB.