Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built my DC separator

Built my DC separator

Here are some pictures of the separator that I built. I only have to add the connection from the outlet to the DC and I will be up and running!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ray,
    Cool idea to use the HVAC boot! Let us know how it works!

That is a fine looking separator I just may have to steal that HVAC idea when I build mine.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Looks good Ray. That's on of the projects on my soon to do list. I hate taking the bags off my dust collector. Let us know how it works once it's hooked up.

I second that - the HVAC boot is a stroke of brilliance. I've struggled finding a 'good' connector for this, and using that and going into the side of the barrel opens a lot of options...
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

where do you plan on putting the second port?

7. Wink

.... Very much interested in seeing the completed picture. . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    Here are some pictures of the separator that I built. I only have to add the connection from the outlet to the DC and I will be up and running!
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    Unique design, but how will the trash guy handle it? Not very well, I expect. By putting inlet into can, you lose half of can capacity. I built mine as a "top hat" that sits on top of a regular 30 gallon trash can. Take top hat off, and put a lid on can. Set it outside until ready to empty. Replace full can with a fresh can. Photos can be seen over at NC Woodworker, in the workshops forum. Post is titled "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle." Also there is a photo of results when running planer. Impressive!

Smile

.... May I offer a suggestion that at a minimum type in an inactive address so we could at least copy and past in to our browsers. This would, I would think, make it a lot easier on me and other members to follow your post. Just a suggestion of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Unique design, but how will the trash guy handle it? Not very well, I expect. By putting inlet into can, you lose half of can capacity. I built mine as a "top hat" that sits on top of a regular 30 gallon trash can. Take top hat off, and put a lid on can. Set it outside until ready to empty. Replace full can with a fresh can. Photos can be seen over at NC Woodworker, in the workshops forum. Post is titled "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle." Also there is a photo of results when running planer. Impressive!
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 01-11-2009 at 9:12 AM.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Now then, finish it.
    After you put your suction port in the lid, set it on a drum for the debris to collect in.
    Because that won't hold very much as it is.

The second port will go directly in the middle of the top ... as shown in the Phil Thien designs.

Bruce, I can't argue with your suggestions. In my case, this was the best design. First, I am not allowed to use that can for the trash man. We have special issue trash cans that we have to use. Second, because this will go into the stand for my Delta 50-760, that is about the maximum height that I can use.

You make good suggestions for the right circumstances, though!
    Last edited by Ray Schafer; 01-11-2009 at 10:45 AM.

The other thing Bruce is forgetting is that it can be difficult for smaller wives to lift a filled-to-the-rim can when it comes time to empty it.

Ray, that separator looks great! I do have a couple of questions about it, though:
    1. It looks like there might be some gasket material (or something between the HVAC boot and the can. Is that correct? If so, what did you use?
    2. The opening looks a little jagged. Do you plan on filing this smooth? I'd worry about turbulence and snagging, but then again, I have been known to over-engineer a time or two before
    Last edited by Carl Babel; 01-11-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Fat fingers ;)

Ray:

That's a nice implementation! I built a similar can/baffle pair about a year ago and posted pictures here a few weeks ago.

When you get it fired up let us know how it separates the chips and fines. I'm very happy with my setup.

Cheers

Jim