Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new old #3 stanley/baley

OK, OK I will get the 5 1/2 even though it is a newer one, AND if I do not use it after cleaning up one of you guys will have to take it off my hands for COST, deal? For now I bow to your wisdom, and thaks for giving it.
    That Sweetheart blade is the firt one I have owned, so Made in Canada I would not have a clue about, but hey i am in Canada, I have some Bailey's made in CAnada.
    The whole thing in in little pieces soaking in a citric acid bath, about half done. Also I am begining to wonder why I am the only woodworker who never uses his planes while painting? Or uses his planes to paint with. Am I doing something wrong?
    cheers Ron

If you don't use it, I will take it off your hands. Gladly.

I think the key with the paint is to leave your planes lying about while painting. Definitely right under whatever you're painting, perhaps to hold the drop cloth.

Thanks for the push, I phoned today and they are holding the 5 1/2 until I can pick it up. Cheers Ron.

Blog Entries
    In the old days, planes may have been laying around from smoothing some trim work before it was painted.

I hope they weren't used to scrape paint.

jim

Off topic, but responding to quote

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Petley View Post
    Also I am begining to wonder why I am the only woodworker who never uses his planes while painting? Or uses his planes to paint with. Am I doing something wrong?
    The presence of paint can be valuable in tracing plane provenance. For instance, I have a Stanley 78 that, based on the evidence - pink paint splatters - was used by the maintenance mechanic in a Barbie factory.

The 5 1/2 is in the house!
    The #3 is well on its way to being done. The blade needs a new bevel. It is very light wood under all that gunk, it has a good layer of tape glue on it from tape on the break.
    So what sort of finish is used on these things?
    I was thinking wax but it does not last for me, I have some gunstock finish that goes the distance. Photos still pending.
    Cheers Ron.

I always use shellac and wax on mine. Gunstock finish (TruOil?) probaby would be fine too.