Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Broken G0634 after 20 bdft

tip n' tell

I used to work for NCR which shipped *large* heavy database computers around the world. The would definately break if dropped or turned upside down.

Everyone went out with one of those "tip 'n tell's" shown attached to the final machine shipped. If the machine is tipped at all that device will show it and it's clear that the shipping company did not do its job.

If our customer's received a machine w/the tip 'n tell in error he would just refuse it. Why can't these suppliers do something similar?
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    I used to work for NCR which shipped *large* heavy database computers around the world. The would definately break if dropped or turned upside down.

Everyone went out with one of those "tip 'n tell's" shown attached to the final machine shipped. If the machine is tipped at all that device will show it and it's clear that the shipping company did not do its job.

If our customer's received a machine w/the tip 'n tell in error he would just refuse it. Why can't these suppliers do something similar?
    Some do, Bob, but the machines are a lot more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by dan lemkin View Post
    I feel I have been incredibly patient, polite, and cooperative throughout this 2 month process. But if the machine fails prematurely, my behavior, choices, and "understanding" will not be rewarded.

Can you inquire about extending the warranty on this machine for 5 or 10 years. I am not thrilled about the prospect of being on my own 10 months from now and after this experience have hardly any faith in the product. If this is not an option, what are my options? Can the machine be returned for full refund?

dan

Dan,

That sounds like a very fair proposition in your circumstance. Reliability would be my #1 concern at this point given the numerous small quality issues that were likely not related to the shipping problems.

Extending your warranty sounds very reasonable given all the hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post

My SawStop crate had them on it, tip and drop sensors. They can't be that expensive.

This is a very strange situation and thread. Others here (including myself) have ordered the G0634 and had nothing but good things to say about it.
    This fact raises an issue. I have had nagging guilt pangs about addressing all these issues in such a public forum... second guessing myself about whether I am just being "picky". Along the way, when the second one came, I asked Charlie this very question... I have provided lots of photos/video to try to explain to others, as well as justify to myself, these issues are real and not imagined or exaggerated. I have gotten verbal confirmation from their engineer that both the planer wheel and the broken piece were due to manufacturers defects.

I realize the scrutiny this thread is getting and the issues it is causing for Grizzly. But at this point, I don't know how much more responsibility or guilt I am willing to assume.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

This fact raises an issue. I have had nagging guilt pangs about addressing all these issues in such a public forum... second guessing myself about whether I am just being "picky".
    Dan...you're not being picky at all. Although the Grizzly model is a bit cheaper than its Euro cousins, it still is a $2400 machine...a good bit more than the Jet. For that kind of money, I wouldn't expect or tolerate noisy bearings, broken castings, stripped holes/bolts, etc. Although I don't expect perfection from any machine, I do expect no major manufacturing defects for that price.

My only point with the prior posting is that it seems this kind of phenomena happens with all manufacturers occasionally. The positive reviews of this machine in the past only make your problem more perplexing.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

I realize the scrutiny this thread is getting and the issues it is causing for Grizzly. But at this point, I don't know how much more responsibility or guilt I am willing to assume.
    I am not sure why you feel you should be assuming any guilt or responsibility. You paid for a machine. Three of them have shown up and been defective and damaged in transit. Not sure what about that makes you feel guilty.

Woodworking should be fun, not a headache. If you cant get what you need from a vendor try another vendor until you get something that you can make sawdust with.

Dan-

Why don't you throw in the towel and step up further and buy a Felder 12" jointer/planer AD351 for $6,212.64 before optional accessories.

You can also purchase an mortiser with it

I was over Dans shop when he fired up the second machine. It did have a bearing noise. In addition to a table that was not flat. When you spend this kind of money you want a usable product. If he bought this off of the scratch and dent table I would say you got what you paid for. But he did not, he paid the going price. Yes he could have spent more but that is not the issue. I also saw the other J/P that he received, and the busted parts from inside of it. Hang in there Dan.

Charlie

This whole fiasco reminds me of my troubles with Grizzly. I have some older stuff that has been fine. I think they have cheaped everything as much as they can and it is time to reverse a bit. Maybe they should offer kits. They could be half the price and you could assemble it yourself. It would be a bargain since you are going to do it anyway.

You have more patience than me. Good Luck!

Holy cow! After reading this I don't know if I should feel happy or still upset.
    I ordered a G0634 on December 26th, was told it would ship on January 23rd, got a phone call on Jan. 20th saying it had shipped out. I was never contacted by the shipping company, so I called Griz back on the 27th. I was then told it never did ship, they never had any to ship me, and I wont see anything until March 27th. Was very upset at this point. Was given a gift certificate as a passifier. Must have had to cancel my shipment to use mine as parts?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-09-2009 at 10:56 AM.

"I realize the scrutiny this thread is getting and the issues it is causing for Grizzly. But at this point, I don't know how much more responsibility or guilt I am willing to assume."
    Dan, I think you have been exceedingly patient. I likely would have been asking for a refund after the first disaster, certainly after the second.

The best customer service is the one you never need.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I am thinking happy is the correct choice unless you think this type of experience is something you are sorry you missed. Just had a thought if you still want one and are close enough for the scratch and dent sale there should be at least 2 available
    Last edited by Bob Luciano; 02-09-2009 at 2:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Zemcik View Post
    Holy cow! After reading this I don't know if I should feel happy or still PO'd.
    I ordered a G0634 on December 26th, was told it would ship on January 23rd, got a phone call on Jan. 20th saying it had shipped out. I was never contacted by the shipping company, so I called Griz back on the 27th. I was then told it never did ship, they never had any to ship me, and I wont see anything until March 27th. Was very pissed at this point. Was given a gift certificate as a passifier. Must have had to cancel my shipment to use mine as parts?
    It sounds like either the machines scheduled for shipment to you were diverted to Dan OR Grizzly has realized that they have a problem that needs to be solved before they ship any more G0634s.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

As far as that whole 1.5% number goes, I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. I remember my college stats professor first statement in my class

"You can make statistics say anything you want".

Case in point, we think of Grizzly shipments of large equipment here because that is mainly what we talk about. However, lets not forget that Grizzly also sells clamps, vices, router bits, measuring tools, hand tools, nail guns etc. I'm pretty sure they sell a pretty good volume of these smaller goods as well, and they are far less likely to receive shipping damage. So while their total shipments damage rate may be 1.5%, I would venture to guess that their damage rate on large equipment is much higher.