Thread: Found a Walker/Turner Jig saw

Found a Walker/Turner Jig saw

Found a working Walker/Turner, Driver J782 24 inch jig saw at a garage sale the other day. All there but no plate with the logo. Would like any info about where it was mounted ( Assuming it should have one.) and if it did, would like to buy one or if someone would be kind enough to take a digital picture and e-mail it to me, with the size, I have an artist friend who would make me one. He did one for my Darra James TS off a picture and looks like the real thing.
    Thanks a lot,
    Dick Brown

Dick, got any pics to post? That always helps things a lot.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The Old Woodworking Machines site has some pics that should help. Check out:

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/ByMfg.asp?MfgID=808

Pete

Chris and Pete:

Looked on OWWM and they have several pic's of the saws but no good pictures of logo. Looked up the patent number and the working part of the saw was patented in 1939 so mine is sometime after that. Funny part of it is, with a little lubricating, it still works but I am just 5 years older and it takes more than a shot of WD40 to get me to work!

Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dick,

Is that a scroll saw? Jig-saws always seem to me to be a handheld power tool. Big jig-saws with tables and such are called bandsaws! Just curious. Maybe in 1939, these are jig saws!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Scroll saw-jig saw

Chris,

Scroll saw seems to be Just another term for what used to be called jig saws. OWWM shows several pictures of this and other models, some called scroll and others called jig saw. I downloaded the manual from OWWM and it calls mine "Jig saw" but the patent search results call it "Scroll saw." By the way, the patent number is 2165002 if you wanted to look it up. www.datamap.org/display Was patented by a William Ocenasek and assigned to Walker - Turner Jul. 4, 1939. The saw shown is the direct drive with the motor and mechanism conected where mine is belt driven with step pulleys. Also found an ad on the net for a similar Walker turner saw for $24.50 dated 1936. Sounds cheap till you realize a lot of folks were working for 3 - 5 dollars a day in those post depression days. My dad worked for the Army Air Corps during WW2 for about $1 per hr. and thought he was in "Tall cotten"
    Still would like to hear from someone about the W-T logo on the jig-scroll saws.

Dick

I found one of these cheap...

Just $20 on craigslist and only 20 minutes away from me. If anyone here uses a J782 I would love to know what you think of it. Sounds like I can't gr wrong, since I don't have a jig/scroll saw and frankly the "Tool Shop" handheld model that I have is junk.

The one I found is from 1944.

Thanks
    Steve

That will be a piece of American industrial history one day. $20 is free.
    (not that I am in any way a scroll saw expert, but It looks a lot like my old Delta that I paid $160 for. It is beautifully built and ultra smooth when set up right.

Nice find! I would buy that, for sure, in a heartbeat.

I have a couple of Walker Turner drill presses, if you just want a picture of the logo I can send you one if you can't find one on-line.