Thread: Jet 10" jointer/planer combo: Anyone?

Jet 10" jointer/planer combo: Anyone?

Is it me or did this model just come out. I was unaware of the new line of bench top machines by Jet. Any experiences with these machines anyone? I am looking for a small shop jointer will take back my brand new planer (which has never been used) for this bad boy if it will handle hardwoods!? Do you think it will have the capabilities of tackling a weekend warriors needs?

TIm

IIRC, they just came out. In fact, I'm not completely sure they're actually out. I was thinking they hit shelves later this month, though I could be wrong.

I've looked for reviews, but nothing out there just yet that I've seen. I'm very interested in this one myself because of my limited space. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything just yet. If anyone else has, please share
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

They are available for purchase through one site which is linked on the Jet site. I too have limited space and was seriously considering taking the plunge on the 10 inch model but in terms of footprint a standard 6 in jointer with an open stand and a lunchbox planer underneath takes up about the same space IMO.

PS

However, your 6" jointer/lunchbox planer combination won't allow you to face joint wider boards. I have a Rikon 10" jointer/planer combo, and I've been surprised as to how much I like the 10" jointing capacity.

Interesting option for about the same price

as a "lunch box" style planer. I doubt I'd miss the 2"-3" of planing if I were gaining 4" of jointing capacity. If you're of the 'longer jointer beds are better' school 36" jointer beds are pretty short. Some say jointer bed length is overrated, some say not. The other Lesser concern I'd have is that the motor is likely(not sure) a universal vs. induction on the larger jointers, planers & combos. Louder and probably not as longed lived. OTOH there are DeWalt & Delta lunch box planers which have universal motors and seem to live long lives. Either way, it's nice to have a choice and it's also interesting for those who require compact mobility. Short jointer beds/narrower planer might be better than no jointer beds/no planer.

Curt

I'm with Wilbur. The 10" capacity is what intrigues me about this combo...that plus the cost with a minimal footprint considering that capacity.

It'll be interesting to see the verdict on these things.
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!