Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

12 Jan 2009

Good Morning,

Happy New Year to all of you that I missed earlier this year.
    The kitchen table project is still in the works. Seems like it's been going on for about 4 years now, but that's not accurate. It's more like 3 months plus a weeks or two. I hate it taking me this long, but work at the day job and family have taken a great deal of my time and the LOML decided this morning that I really needed some rest after a week like I had last week. So she let me sleep in a bit this morning.

It's cold her today and going to get colder later in the week. So far, we haven't had any snow, but we have had some freezing rain and sleet. Just enough to cause driving problems on bridges and overpasses and enough to bring down tree limbs that were weak already. I know some of you have been hit pretty hard with winter weather and I wish each of you safety and comfort.

All sanding is done on the table, the top now has a wash coat of Dark Garnet Dewaxed Shellac and is waiting for the final 400 grit sanding. Then it will be time for me to break out my HVLP setup and spray the lacquer finish. The base of the table will be glued up today with Plastic Resin Glue. I like using this glue because it has a long open time and the only real downside to this glue is that it has a long set time (18 hours). If you've never tried it? I encourage you to try it. When it's set, it is a very rigid glue...unlike all your PVA type glues which are still pretty flexible after they have set. Any way, the table base will be done today and ready for a wash coat of Dark Garnet Shellac this evening. It will be time for me to go and buy the Lacquer today and I sure wished I could get some Target Coatings finish locally as I'd really like to try their water-based Lacquer product. I've heard it is really good and has the same properties as a standard pre-cat lacquer. Oh well, it will be Deft Lacquer as that is what I can get locally. I've gone to Sherwin-Williams about buying their lacquer, but they have to special order it and I also have to buy case quanty....and I just don't use that much lacquer in a year or ever 2....so that is out of the question.

Enough about me and what's going on here......

So what did YOU do this weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

re-started my garage project. mudding and taping the ceiling's drywall.

Christina, age 8 was out there with me the whole day. She had fun. I have also added some extra fluorescent lights and that has made the environment a lot better.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Blog Entries
    I finished up a Cherry & Rosewood jewelry box. I posted pics over in the Woodworking Projects forum....

non-shop weekend for me. Fixed my FIL's snowblower that a friend of ours is buying, and then had to fix mine. (instructions were quite straightforward - "disassemble everything behind the auger to get at the bolt, remove/replace part, then reassemble in the reverse order). then played with the kids in the snow.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

It wasn't the weekend but last Tuesday a really fine gentleman (Dennis Peacock) helped me put my shelix head in my 20" planer. Many thanks to you Dennis for your help. I put some curly maple through and it came out great.

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Got little progress on the Morris chair and 90% done with a large frame for work. Will post pics in my album here on SMC when complete.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Dennis, 'glad to hear you're making progress on your table. FYI, Target has USL on sale right now through the 23rd for 25% off online orders...good opportunity to try them. If the timing for this project doesn't work, as long as you can put it in a non-freezing place, you'll have it on hand for the next project. finishingzone.com

After my equestrian activities on Saturday, including the first ride in my new saddle...one that actually fits my posterior...I was back in the shop working on the upper cabinets for my office. By the end of the day on Sunday, all assembly work for the face frames and the one door was complete, everything was sanded and the BLO was applied. I hope to get this finished up (literally) this coming weekend, but that will entail turning on the heaters Friday night since it's going to be in the 20s here starting around Wednesday or Thursday. I may stick with shellac for that reason which is just fine with me. I also helped a friend straight-line rip some material on my slider for a project he's working on in his home to make baseboard radiator covers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was in the shop this weekend. Not for the best reason though. Last week I fixed the door tensioning mechanism on my dishwasher for the umteenth time and managed to move it enough to cause a slight leak where the line ties in. So, it spent the last week leaking into my shop. Luckily, it kind of leaked into the middle of the shop and the only casualty was the MDF top of my Festool MFT. After letting it dry over the weekend, I was able to use the old top as a template to make a new one. Between cleanup and remaking the top, it cost me around 6 hrs. so far. It'll be more since I have a little drywall work and paint to do, but no money out of pocket. I did lose some scraps also, but overall pretty lucky.
    While I was in there with routers going, I couldn't resist working on the speaker cabinets I'm building. They are now ready for finish (paint) and speaker parts.
    Jay St. Peter

Blog Entries
    Did some milling on four french doors for a co-worker who fabricated them, but didn't have the equipment to properly rout out for the antique glass and to also mortise the hinges. Also, for thrills, ran a sort of video quiz contest on another forum that I frequent and the prize was a small key fob that I had left over from last seasons Christmas gifts making session. The key fob is off to Oklamhoma today.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!