Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 meg plus file size

100 meg plus file size

Im working with granite murals in the ball park of 5x7 feet which requires a large image to start with. Large Image means huge file size and im running into computer issues with those size of files, does anyone out there also work with extremely large files and if you do how do you allow for your computer to handle the file size??? I have 3+ gigs of memory and my computers are less than 2 years old and I just can't seem to find a computer to handle the projects im working with...Any advise???

A Mac Pro can easily handle 100 meg files. Even 500 meg+. It will also run Windows. But I'm a Mac geek and they are expensive.

Years ago, there used to be software that would allow you to view a screen proxy and open just part of the file and work on it. Then when done editing, the part would be saved back to the original file. There might still be something out there for PCs.

Cheers,
    Doug
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 01-12-2009 at 5:01 PM.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia Mossbrucker View Post
    Im working with granite murals in the ball park of 5x7 feet

I hope you post a pic for us when it's done!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I have 3+ gigs of memory and my computers are less than 2 years old and I just can't seem to find a computer to handle the projects im working with...Any advise???
    Sylvia,

If you've got a fast processor (you didn't give any specs) and plenty of memory, it's likely your issue is your graphics card. Are you just running the graphics setup that came with your computer? You may have a quick, and not too pricey (under $100) upgrade path available to you...

Thanks,

Bill

3Gb ought to easily handle a 100Mb graphic file. I do regularly with 2. Could be you're coming up against inherent limitations in the file formats themselves. JPG, for example, get all soggy after about 25,000-30,000 pixels.

What program are you using? Coreldraw doesn't have a great deal of stamina when it comes to large files. Photoshop in the native PSD format can handle monsters (personal best is a 1.3Gb mother-of-panoramas photo...took a while to do anything to it though). The TIFF format can take a bit of bashing too.

Yes, Darren is right. I print some big files and 2gb handles 100mb without a problem. I always print from Photoshop as my Canon printer has a plug-in that came with it that allows printing directly from Photoshop using RGB files. Graphics card might be an issue.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

My largest mural was 8' x 12' completed in three 4'x8' panels of granite. The files were processed using dual, dual core processors with 16gb of ram on a 64 bit system (required to address that much memory) all in photoshop CS3. The problem you are about to have if you haven't already is Photograv. Photograv does not even begin to handle large files of this caliber. I have talked the company several times, but to no avail.

And no, that's not me in the photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jack

Wow Jack that is impressive! Did I say WOW!!!!
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Niiiiiice Jack.....very nice!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Jack it is really great!
    What material you are using for that nice work?
    Versa LASER 3.50

Fabulous job Jack. Would look great on any wall.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Working with large file sizes and large format printers for architectural drawings, an issue that we have run into is not in the computer but with the printer having enough memory to handle the large output file sizes. What sort of issues are you having with the files?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Wow Jack that is impressive! Did I say WOW!!!!
    My sentiments, exactly - Impressive, WOW!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thanks everyone. The image was set in 8mm (-3/8) thick premium grade black granite. I buy the stone by the block and have it processed into the ultra thin slabs, about 50 per block, with fiberglass backing for added strength. The image was from 3Score, although I no longer market them heavily as I quickly realized everyone and their brother was going to market the same images. It is tough enough marketing a similar service without adding matching images. Like everyone says here, you have to be unique and customizable to appeal to the market. I now license my art directly and lock it up on exclusive for years at a time.
    Jack

which requires a large image to start with. Large Image means huge file size
    Hi Sylvia,

What do you mean by running into file problems? I doubt your computer is the problem as it has a paging file usually many Gig in size to supplement the on-board memory. Windows takes care of when and how to use that.

Can you be a little more specific with the problems. I suspect that the laser is not able to accept the file size and is having trouble with being fed data in lumps it can cope with.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.