Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did I miss the Veritas Dovetail saw discussion?

How did I miss the Veritas Dovetail saw discussion?

Got the new Jan. Lee Valley catalog and they show the New Veritas Dovetail saw. Interesting to say the least. $65.00 so it is priced right.

The front page says it "Has generated a tremendous amount of discussion on the Internet woodworking forums" So How did I miss this one?
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...74&cat=1,42884

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Got the new Jan. Lee Valley catalog and they show the New Veritas Dovetail saw. Interesting to say the least. $65.00 so it is priced right.

The front page says it "Has generated a tremendous amount of discussion on the Internet woodworking forums" So How did I miss this one?
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...74&cat=1,42884
    Dave,
    They are talking about this thread Its you and me discussing the saw.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

There was a big, long, and rather windy thread over at WN here while back when it was introduced

I believe there are two threads about it here in this forum, too, if my memory serves...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi -

I'm just glad someone reads the inside cover letters....

Cheers -

Rob

saw

Missed the discussion??? Were you on that oil tanker held by the Pirates off Somalia or perhaps meditating in the highest reaches of Nepal in a Monestary where they use pull saws?

coincidence

I just received the Jan catalog and read the inside cover last night. I also just received the saw - there has been enough said already so ill just add - love it.

My saw is set to be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait to see what the fuss is about.

Checks...

On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    Excellent.

Why all the hub-bub? It is just your average, normal, everyday injection molded under high pressure using an advanced material incorporating stainless-steel powder for weight, glass fiber for stiffness, and a polymer resin binder spine on the saw.

Sigh...

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I guess I've been on the dark side of the moon as this is the first time I've seen the saw, let alone heard anything about it. Is that coffee I smell? Anyway, I'd love to hear what the reviews say. Great price point, that's for sure. But I'm kind of partial to tiger maple handles

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Aw. Then you missed the $25 introductory pricing too then? Bummer dude.
    Use the fence Luke

Discussion about a discussion?

Hi

I walked into my local LV store and bought one last week. Every other dovetail saw I've tried has been toe heavy to some extent. This baby feels completely neutral in my hand. They tell you in the catalog that your index finger will naturally comes to rest on the on the optimal spot on the high tech composite "spine". That's true, but more importantly to me, the tip of my finger lands right above the balance point of the saw.

It cuts fast, tracks flawlessly and fits comfortably in my hand. My only beef is that I need to change an old habit. On the soft pine I've been using it on, my habit of starting the cut by drawing the saw backwards along the line on the near face of the board results in the saw digging in when I push it forward. I have found that (for me) it's better to start the cut on the push stroke. Could be a different story on harder woods.

For $69 Canabucks, I don't think I can do better.
    I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gillis View Post
    I walked into my local LV store.....
    Ian, that just ain't right!! Any fellow woodworker of substance wouldn't rub it in on his fellow creekers that he could "walk into his LOCAL LV store. Then, on the other hand, my new 2009 tool budget wouldn't last past February if I could do that!

On topic, I received my new LV saw about a month ago, and it meets all expectations. One sweet saw! As Chris alluded to, they took high tech and made it look abundantly simple. It has a tremendous amount of ergonomic design built in, and, personally, I think it looks great! But then, so does a traditional LN - just different strokes for different folks - and at a great price.

Hehe

I don't do tool gloats, but living near a LV outlet is pretty sweet. I was in Vancouver when they opened on the west coast, and when I came home to the east coast they were already here.

Now here's the real gloat... the Clearance Table!! I always head straight for the clearance table... discontinued items, returns with small defects. Stuff you other mooks will never get a crack at! Ruhahaha!
    I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons -- Leonard Cohen