Thread: Small Spray Equipment Questions

Small Spray Equipment Questions

I make a lot of small items, boxes, etc. and one of the finishes I like to use is NC Laquer. I don't have any spray equipment so I have been using Deft in the aerosol can.

Is it economical to get an airbrush setup or small HVLP setup that will spray laquer and maybe shellac finishes? I am not finishing large items so I am not looking for large capacity spray equipment. I have spent the evening searching through the finishing forum for information and am now in overload.

Does anyone have any recommendations for small scale spray finishing? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HB

Small scale as in small projects or small scale as in small amounts?

I use a gravity feed HVLP gun from Devillbiss. It is the finishline model and it works great for wood finishes. A top cup gun has some disadvantages, namely getting into tight areas and you can't spray upside down but clean up isn't one of them. It takes about 3 ounces of DNA to clean up after shellac and about 3 minutes. It takes longer to walk inside to the sink then to clean up after the waterbase.

I seriously doubt any mini gun could be faster to clean.

Small amounts of lacquer or shellac can be sprayed but you have to be very careful of the amount of overspray in the air. Both from breathing it and having it go boom.
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Harold-

Do you have an air compressor already? There are lots of economical mini guns that will lay down a very nice finish (with low CFM requirements for small projects) and won't break the bank.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Small scale as in small projects or small scale as in small amounts?
    Small as in both quantity and size. Maybe a half dozen pieces less than a square foot each. I just want to get away from aerosol if it is feasible and affordable.

Thanks,

HB

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Voss View Post
    Do you have an air compressor already? There are lots of economical mini guns that will lay down a very nice finish (with low CFM requirements for small projects) and won't break the bank.
    I dont have either a compressor or turbine and don't use air tools. I am flexible to either a compressor or a turbine.

HB

Here are 2 good minis for under $100:

Astro mini: http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...-%20AP4020.htm

QS-200 (second one down) through Homestead: http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...spray.htm#guns

Both of these have low CFM requirements (less than 4 for small projects).

With a small, 4 gal portable compressor (like a twin stack) this would give you a very functional set up for a minimal investment.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Voss View Post
    <snip>
    With a small, 4 gal portable compressor (like a twin stack) this would give you a very functional set up for a minimal investment.
    And you can put air in that low tire, possibly use pneumatic fasteners, etc. Here's another interesting possibility for certain finishing scenarios:
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,43034
    I doubt it'll produce the finish quality of the guns mentioned above but for certain applications it's downright useful. I've sprayed acrylic paints on exterior doors and such with good results. The critter gun will run on any compressor. I used one for years with a little tire inflator plumbed into a portable air tank with a pressure switch. Worked fine but NOISY!.

Many Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I had actually looked at the QS-200 in my internet travels and searching.

I have a bunch of things to think about.

HB