View Poll Results: Do you read the manual?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always!

40 39.22%
  • Sometimes

43 42.16%
  • Rarely

16 15.69%
  • Never!

3 2.94%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RTM? Who reads the manual?

After many years of not RTMing, I finally realized that later in the process, and much frustration, I would return to RTFM
    Best Regards, Ken

I have a large fire safe full of manuals just so that I can show what I had in case of a fire. I don't think I have read more than two or three in the last thirty years.

I only read them if I can't figure it out first........

I rtm.

I'm with Jim Bowers and Glen Bradley, I read manuals. I also ask for directions-sometimes. Manuals are getting harder to read though. The last tool I bought, a Jet slow speed wet sharpener, had only a parts diagram-no operators manual. It did come with a DVD though. I played the video and to my surprise, who is the demonstrator-Ernie Conover ! He showed how to set up the machine, true the wheel, and use the various jigs. Entertaining and informative. I wish I had an actual paper manual though, for future reference. There is nothing available online either-I looked.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    All depends on what it is...

Funny related story - the other week I was at one of the BORG stores in the finishes section picking up a few things. A pair of older women approached me to ask if I knew anything about using stains. I replied that I knew a few things and asked what their question was. Long story short(er) - they had applied the stain but a day later and it was still thick and greasy and didn't look anything like the pictures... Ummm... "Did you wipe it off?" I asked... "Wipe it off? We want to apply it!" was basically their answer. Turning a can around I read the instructions to them (paraphrased) "Apply stain, wait five to fifteen minutes, wipe off with a clean rag, wait twenty-four hours, top coat..."

"Well, how were we supposed to know that we were supposed to do that?"

Ummm... It says to right on the can?
    That is hilarious. I used to work at the orange borg, and this happens way too often - from both female & male customers (and age has nothing to do with it either).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    I say it depends on the situation and the content of said manual. Some manuals are nothing but garbled "metric English" (direct translations to English from the country of origin's native language). Other manuals have very good detailed instructions, drawings etc.
    I'm pretty much in this category. If the tool is simple, or I just can't simply read the horrible english, then they get tossed in the pile with the other manuals. If the machine is complicated then I'll read through it. I do usually keep all of my manuals though, just in case I need to RTFM

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    You're supposed to read that thing?! I thought it was to put in the throne room in case you ran out of the paper on the roll next to the throne!
    These could be used for some bathroom reading material too.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I just replaced a lamp plug that came with a 'manual' - a whole page with instructions on how to screw two wires on. Lots of disclaimers too. If you have to read a manual for this you shouldn't be fussing with electricity! I think I'll write a manual for the #2 pencil----

This thread made me look at my manuals today, and remember the one that makes me laugh. My first SCMI about 17 years ago came with a manual that was done by someone that obviously did not really know english. Enough to fool the boss I guess.....

I remember trying to adjust the scoring blade and it was really simple, once I threw the manual in the drawer......

Depends on the complexity of the item or how much I need a laugh. I love the ones that are three (or more) pages long. Two and a half pages of warnings (IE: do not use electric under water) and three one line instructions.

1. Removed most rear cover.
    2. Insert batteries not wronged.
    3. Use way intended.

Very Informative!

Smile

With the recent purchase of a cordless tool I did go searching for the battery charging time but only scanned the book for anything new. On most other things eventualy (like Jim Becker said ).

Being a Linux user, I RTFM lots. However, I have run into multiple times not being able to find what I need, or learning I need some other terminology.

By the way, a can is a manual? LOL

I read the manual...eventually. However, I don't always read the manual FIRST.
    "Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible." -HGR

I usually start doing it without the manual, but if I get stuck, I look it up in the manual and keep on going.
    and if I need to assemble somthing, it's debatable.
    but I did recently buy an 800 page book on Ubuntu, and that is my nighttime reading.
    Last edited by Matt Walton; 01-18-2009 at 3:01 PM.

Well now, that's interesting....

It sez I already voted on this poll.
    I sure don't remember doing that.
    Is there a manual for these SMC Polls?
    I think I've gotten the pole here.

I only read the manual if I can't readily see how something goes together, and then only for the part in question.
    I NEVER read the 4 pages of crap that precedes the instructional parts of the manual.
    "Do not immerse tool in water while plugged in."
    "Do not put fingers into any moving parts."
    And the other 10 pounds of baloney that precedes two pages of otherwise moronic instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    Just another silly poll to waste your time. I'm just wondering how many people actually stop and read the manual when they buy something new or put something together.

Dan
    Dan, re your sig line. Obviously you haven't looked at the cat yet.........Rod.