Thread: Biscuits Joiner question

Biscuit Joiner question

I recently purchased a new Porter-Cable Joiner and I noticed that it can do some different size biscuits that I have never heard of and thought I could get some information here. The ones it list that I have not heard of are simplex, Duplex, and Max (#6) biscuits. Thanks in advance for any information.
    Last edited by Chad Young; 06-23-2004 at 1:33 PM.

PC Joiner

I think I have the same joiner. It will handle several other size biscuits other than the standard 3 (#20, 10 etc). These are usually smaller for frames etc and require you to switch to the smaller blade. I've never used it on my unit but nice to know it can. I do love my PC joiner, Used it last night to glue up some cherry!! Jerry

Biscuits Joiner question

Chad,

An overview of some web searches and phone calls:

Simplex, Duplex and others are biscuits being produced by Lamello, a high end biscuit joiner. The duplex generated the most "hits" (2 piece detachable hinge, different finishes, $5-6/pr).

I remember seeing 10-15 of these type biscuits (i.e., fitting into the biscuit slots) advertised by Lamello years ago and was quite impressed at the time. I called a dealer that carries Lamello and they are sending me some literature on the biscuits and related items. I will keep you informed.

By the way, the guy I talked to gave me a 5 minute lecture on the pit falls of using regular biscuit joiners (I have the PC 557 and Dewalt 682) and how many ways the slots won't match. Looking through the web sites, there was article after article about how many ways to screw-up. It doesn't make up for the numerous mistakes I've made but it lets me sleep better at night.

Regards, Joe

I have the Dewalt and have been looking for different blades for it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks for the information and I look forward the followup. I just try to be well informed about my tools and when I searched for the different types of biscuits all I kept getting was links to buy the PC 557. I also just found out that Porter-Cable has an office just down the street and I was going to stop by there today hopefully.

Biscuits Joiner question

Chad,

That is what happened to me --- buy PC 557 but no info on the other biscuits.

I have a PC store about 5 miles from me, right up from Home Depot and on the way to MLCS which is about 10 miles. On the way back, there is another hardware store, a cabinet maker friend and finally a Lowes about 1 mile from me. Make the trip about once a week.

Most of my tools are either PC or Delta, mainly because the service center is so close; I don't have to send them away to be fixed. Of course, only a few have needed fixing and the price was quite reasonable.

My local PC store sells refurbished tools at app. 1/2 off the list price. Catalog prices are usually 30 to 45% off list so you can save some money. Of course, you have to pay tax but save on shipping (although sometimes you can get free shipping). I usually wait, if I can, till the local PC have their yearly summer sale where they knock another 20 to 30% off. Last summer, I must have spent close to $700 and have yet to use many of what I brought --- the Biscuit Joiner being one of those yet to be used for which I paid $112. Rockler lists their for $210 and Tool Crib of the North for $199 so you can save some serious money. And I have no problems with refurbs, at least someone looked at it, tested it and it carries the full warranty.

Check to see if your local store has sells like the one above and good luck.

I will keep you informed about those biscuits; should be getting the info tomorrow or Monday.

Regards, Joe