Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keller Dovetail Jig

Their website is also great (Leigh's). I assume that support would also be great.

They seem like leaders. I noticed that the Akeda is made in the same region of Canada. I wonder if this is a split offf?

Steve Bolton

Just curious, has anyone used both the Woodline Route-R-Joint and the Keller and compared them? How do they compare as far as joint quality and squareness is concerned?

Steven, you could alter the spacing for a more hand made look although the spacing between the tails is at the mercy of the diameter of the router bit that you use. It would be impossible to get the super narrow gap of a saw blade on the pins because the bit would most likely break when you turn on the router.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

I agree with your statement about it being impossible to capture the look of hand cut. The Wood Rat seems to be the only one that can come close.

However, I like the fact that the Keller is a 7 degree bit (or at least I think it is). I think the longer narrow dovetails look the best, but that is just me.

I just thought if you could skip every other pin, it might look nice (some of the time). I don't know if having a fixed template is that bad or not.

I think the KISS principle would indicate that a Keller is worth trying after I get my finances under control. Two college kids. Unreal. Some days I could have bought the entire Porter Cable Omnijig with all accessories.

Thanks for the info.

Steve Bolton

I love the Keller jig. Back when I was a big newbie to woodworking my father in law let me use his. Wow....it was EASY and made really nice dovetails. Yeah..they are only through dovetails but they are nice. I've had much more experience since then and my FIL upgraded me to an INCRA on Christmas (GREAT GUY, eh?) but I still find myself reaching for the Keller plates when I want a simple dovetail.