Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keller Dovetail Jig

Keller Dovetail Jig

From posts I have read in this forum, the Keller dovetail jig seems like it has a lot going for it in terns of being user friendly.

My question is whether it is hard to change the number of pins and tails in order to make it look less machine made.

Can you easily skip every other pin or tail peice and get a look that looks less machine like?

I don't want to buy a Keller and then hand chisel the joints out. I would only want to do this if it can be done using the jig and if it was not real difficult.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, especially from Keller owners.

Steve Bolton

You need to ask Robert Strasser. See his thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49554
    Maurice

Well, I hope Robert is out there and will speak up. He did a great job with that modification.

I have noticed there are quite a few Keller owners on this forum. I hope some will have answers.

Thanks

Steve Bolton

The Keller jig is VERY simple to use and easy & quick to set up. Have not done it yet but also easy to skip a section to give it a handcrafted look. For me for through DTs, I'm very happy with mine. The leigh would be even better but at a bigger $ investment and more adjustments.
    Jerry

You can skip any of the pins - tails you like and I have. My results came out well on a 30" tall cabinet for under my bench - but still didn't look like handcut dovetails. I have rebuilt a bunch of old furniture during the past few years and find most handcut dovetails unattractive. Lots of then have tiny narrow pins which I find ugly. I'm probably too anal - but I "like" orderly, consistently spaced dovetails. My Keller is great and the support from Mr. Keller has been outstanding.

well, I am sure there are no comparisons with hand cut dovetails. But in being on this forum for over a year now, I have noticed that people like to post things about their dovetail jig and there is a very common thread: The Keller is simple to operate. To me, that would be important.

I have seen the new PC Omnijig in person and it is quite a machine. But it appears to me that it would take quite a bit of time to get used to it.

My 2 cents.

Steve Bolton

Keller does have a reputation for ease of use. Do remember it's only for through dovetails, however. No half-blinds. Not a problem, even for drawers as long as those drawers will use a false front or you like exposed dovetails on the face of the drawers. For carcass construction, many folks use through dovetails.

Personally, I use a Leigh D4. I find it simple to use because it has the most incredible manual on the planet from a tool perspective.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I really don't care about cutting "real" half blind dovetails. I would glue on a front. Charles Neil does that and that would be good enough for me.

I think the Leigh is king. On there website you can download the entire manual. That manual is the best one I have ever seen. It really is the benchmark that all manuals should look at.

I have a friend who has a Leigh and he does very nice work with dovetails.

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Well, you can always get a Keller and a Leigh and find out for yourself. Im sure which ever one you don't want will sell quickly in the SMC Classified section.
    Maurice

That would be interesting but I couldn't pay for my kid's college for a month.

SB

Decisions, decisions. I made it easier on myself - I prefer not to have kids!
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Decisions, decisions. I made it easier on myself - I prefer not to have kids!
    Maurice, only trouble with that preference is that it pretty much precludes you from having grandkids - one of God's greatest blessings. Now, if one could have grandkids first.........hmmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by john keeton View Post
    now, if one could have grandkids first.........hmmmmm!
    there"s the rub!
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

Personally, I use a Leigh D4. I find it simple to use because it has the most incredible manual on the planet from a tool perspective.
    Amen to that Jim!! The best Ive ever seen too.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

The Leigh D4's manual is THE best manual, bar none, for any machine. And after a while the procedures are second nature. I believe the steepness of the learning curve might be greatly exaggerated.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking