Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dovetails: Leigh vs Omni-Jig vs Incra

Dovetails: Leigh vs Omni-Jig vs Incra

I want to be able to make "traditional-looking" dovetail joints, for drawer assembly and maybe some larger-scale external carcass joinery. I'd also like to be able to vary the spacing and be able to cut all types of dovetails (though I'm not dove-tail experienced and cannot yet describe the different types clearly...).

Having just spent hours online reviewing the incredible accuracy of Incra LS fences for router tables, I think it must be difficult to route dovetails in the end of a long piece while that piece is standing on end as it passes the cutter... Yes?

I also worry that I'll get so involved with Incra "precision" that I'll loose sight of what I really need to accomplish. For example, I think those multi-layered dovetails that Incra features in their marketing are FANTASTIC!!! but I don't know when I'll ever need to do something like that - and if I start fooling with it, I'll get waaaay sidetracked.

As for Leigh vs. Omni: Is there any big difference between them in terms of quality, capabilities, ease-of-use or price? I think I'd spring for a 24" model as long as it can be outfitted/accessorized to do "everything".

Thanks,
    Tom

I just got the 24" leigh superjig. Setup is pretty easy, and to make through dovetails, the process is fairly straightforward. They do line up well, and with a steady hand are nice and snug.

You can change the width and number of tails on the superjigs, but the pin width is fixed. You need their D4R? version to adjust pin width.

Only problem I have found is that I keep blowing out splinters from some of the routed pieces... Not sure if this is a bit issue, or a technique issue, or a wood issue...

Here is the 3rd box I made... kinds shows learning curve. First was sloppy. Second had a gap because I lifted the router and chewed one of the fingers on the jig... 3rd is cleaner, but still has small gaps and a few chipped out edges...

By third box... takes about 1 minute to setup jig, and about 15-20 minutes to route all boards (including a bit change)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Tom, I use the Incra and there is no problem routing dovetails on long pieces. The right angle fixture clamps securely to the LS and I use a clamp to hold the work piece. You can do more than just dovetails with the Incra. I also have an Akeda jig for use without my router table. Take a look at the Akeda, it is very easy to use.

There's a gent that posts here frequently who has a webpage that you will find most helpful.

www.woodshopdemos.com

John did a comparison some time ago of the features of the top dv jigs. One of the really nice things about John's site is that it contains lots and lots of photos (which I find invaluable). Check it out.

Hi Tom! I share your concern that you may become emmersed in Incra's over-engineered approach to everything they sell. First of all, Incra assumes you will have a dedicated router table to attach all their *paraphernalia* to. I do not have one, and don't plan on it! My router table is on the extension wing of my TS, and my router fence is much too straight forward for the Incra-ites. IMO the Incra stuff is akin to the ShopSmith in that much more time is spent fiddling with it than really making something useful! (IMO, mind ya')

I have used the Leigh 24" D4 since the 90s. It makes through dovetails accurately, and with ease, thanks to an excellent user manual. Two routers facilitate cutting tails and pins faster than changing bits, but that's up to you. It attaches anywhere you want it to, and can be stored when not in use.

The OmniJig is an excellent dovetail jig also. Same premise as the Leigh. Both are expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you want through dovetails which look hand-cut, choose one of these.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I have the Jointech fence, which is similiar to the Incra.

One downside (which they don't really advertise) is that the wood has to be milled to specific thicknesses for their dovetailing system to work. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of. I haven't actually made dovetails on the system yet, but I watched the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnstone View Post
    I have the Jointech fence, which is similiar to the Incra.

One downside (which they don't really advertise) is that the wood has to be milled to specific thicknesses for their dovetailing system to work. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of. I haven't actually made dovetails on the system yet, but I watched the DVD.
    Paul, check posts #4 and #8 in this link:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=incra

The Original Poster makes reference to Incra's own free Excel spreadsheet that will auto caluclate templates for you, based on YOUR material thickness, bit diameter, etc. The OP offers to send it to you if you email him personally. Ahhhh
    Last edited by Tom Overthere; 01-14-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Hi Tom! I share your concern that you may become emmersed in Incra's over-engineered approach to everything they sell.
    Yeah, I'm easily distracted by "interesting objects"

First of all, Incra assumes you will have a dedicated router table to attach all their *paraphernalia* to...IMO the Incra stuff is akin to the ShopSmith in that much more time is spent fiddling with it than really making something useful! (IMO, mind ya')
    I do want to set up a dedicated RT (actually might rather have a shaper, if I can swing it), but like you, the fiddler tendency is a weakness for me.
    "A good man knows his limitations" - Harry Callahan in Dirty Harry

I sure would like to have .0001" precision on call, though...

I have used the Leigh 24" D4 since the 90s. It makes through dovetails accurately, and with ease...Two routers facilitate cutting tails and pins faster than changing bits...It attaches anywhere you want it to, and can be stored when not in use.
    All GOOD. Thanks, Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    There's a gent that posts here frequently who has a webpage that you will find most helpful.
    www.woodshopdemos.com John did a comparison some time ago of the features of the top dv jigs.
    Thanks, Vince. I'm on my way!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    Tom, I use the Incra and there is no problem routing dovetails on long pieces. The right angle fixture clamps securely to the LS and I use a clamp to hold the work piece. You can do more than just dovetails with the Incra. I also have an Akeda jig for use without my router table. Take a look at the Akeda, it is very easy to use.
    Hey, Robert. I watched the Incra online video - depicting one of the LS router setups. I saw them doing exactly what you describe, but got a little suspicious upon noticing how each scene shows the guy routing a little piece of wood no longer than 8". I'll probably find some way to get an Incra LS system in addition to a Leigh or Omni or AKEDA(yow!) jig. I can see lots of uses for the Incra's exceptional dialable accuracy on a router table - in addition to making occassional amazing multi-layered dovetails.

Never heard of Akeda before. Went out and Googled it per your suggestion. MAN! I'm going to research that some more. Looks really interesting, and since I'm not invested in any DT jig at all yet, I'm going to spend a little time watching Akeda videos, etc.

Any idea who has the best PRICE on the Akeda 24"?

Thanks, Robert

Quote Originally Posted by dan lemkin View Post
    I just got the 24" leigh superjig. Setup is pretty easy, and to make through dovetails, the process is fairly straightforward. They do line up well, and with a steady hand are nice and snug.

You can change the width and number of tails on the superjigs, but the pin width is fixed. You need their D4R? version to adjust pin width.

Only problem I have found is that I keep blowing out splinters from some of the routed pieces... Not sure if this is a bit issue, or a technique issue, or a wood issue...

Here is the 3rd box I made... kinds shows learning curve. First was sloppy. Second had a gap because I lifted the router and chewed one of the fingers on the jig... 3rd is cleaner, but still has small gaps and a few chipped out edges...

By third box... takes about 1 minute to setup jig, and about 15-20 minutes to route all boards (including a bit change)
    Dan, thanks a LOT for the great photos and first-hand advice. I'm really glad to see and hear about some of the real-world "learning curve issues". It's very helpful when my head if so full of all the "glorious woodworking perfection" depicted in the marketing of these fine, expensive tools (yeah, everybody here knows what I'm talking about ).

On a personal note, I used to live relatively near Baltimore, and for a time, lived in Baltimore. By your picture, it appears you're either an EMT or a Firefighter. Assuming either is true, God bless you, brother. And that's a beautiful kid in your photo. Can't tell whether boy or girl, but reminds me so much of my daughter at that age - currently stationed overseas (sigh). Enjoy yours today!

Why do you want to vary the spacing on your dovetails ? For a fraction of the cost of the Leigh and Omnijig you can buy the Porter Cable 4212 and cut perfect dovetails (evenly spaced) all day long. The wood doesn't care and nobody else will either.

Tom, You don't really need the 24" Akeda unless you are going to make large blanket chest etc. You can double up with the 16 by gluing them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Overthere View Post
    I want to be able to make "traditional-looking" dovetail joints, for drawer assembly and maybe some larger-scale external carcass joinery. I'd also like to be able to vary the spacing and be able to cut all types of dovetails (though I'm not dove-tail experienced and cannot yet describe the different types clearly...)...
    Tom,

Maybe you have not yet visited the Leigh Galleries? In case you have not, you can look in their Gallery Page. In the Dovetail Gallery alone, you will find through, half-blind, sliding, inlaid, angled, end-on-end dovetails. And my own, located in the Inlaid Dovetail Gallery:

The lid has end-one-end dovetails; the box is inlaid dovetails. You also can view all the Leigh videos at their Video Page.

...Having just spent hours online reviewing the incredible accuracy of Incra LS fences for router tables, I think it must be difficult to route dovetails in the end of a long piece while that piece is standing on end as it passes the cutter... Yes?...
    On the Leigh D4/D4r, for long pieces, it is really not much different than for shorter pieces (the photos are on my blog, a changing table I made):

I just had to raise the D4 a little bit, and secure it properly :

And making the sliding dovetail for the partition:

... I also worry that I'll get so involved with Incra "precision" that I'll loose sight of what I really need to accomplish. For example, I think those multi-layered dovetails that Incra features in their marketing are FANTASTIC!!! but I don't know when I'll ever need to do something like that - and if I start fooling with it, I'll get waaaay sidetracked....
    Tom,

The inlaid dovetails are a wonderful, decorative item that is limited only by your imagination. As mine show above, it takes only a little longer to make them, and is very repeatable using the Leigh jigs.

...As for Leigh vs. Omni: Is there any big difference between them in terms of quality, capabilities, ease-of-use or price? I think I'd spring for a 24" model as long as it can be outfitted/accessorized to do "everything".

Thanks,
    Tom
    On the Leigh D4, D4R, and the Super Jigs: All are of superb quality. The D4 and D4R give you the split finger assemblies, which allow adjustment of the pin sizes. A HUGE PLUS: Leigh's Customer Support and documentation is probably the best in the industry. And their Customer Support Page is possibly a model on which others should be based.

Last edited by Al Navas; 01-14-2009 at 8:43 AM. Reason: Correct a typo.
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Dan, thanks a LOT for the great photos and first-hand advice. I'm really glad to see and hear about some of the real-world "learning curve issues". It's very helpful when my head if so full of all the "glorious woodworking perfection" depicted in the marketing of these fine, expensive tools (yeah, everybody here knows what I'm talking about ).

On a personal note, I used to live relatively near Baltimore, and for a time, lived in Baltimore. By your picture, it appears you're either an EMT or a Firefighter. Assuming either is true, God bless you, brother. And that's a beautiful kid in your photo. Can't tell whether boy or girl, but reminds me so much of my daughter at that age - currently stationed overseas (sigh). Enjoy yours today!

I hope she returns soon and safe! "The Boy" is awsome, really a sweet kid. Have a girl on the way... I see all my free time disappearing ;-) I spent 8 years as EMT then Paramedic... and 2 as a Flight Doc during residency. Unique experience cruising at 155 knots 350 ft over Chicago. You know those ex-military pilots ... Man do they get pissy when you knock the stick with your knees...

In regard to spacing the dovetails... I do think they look nicer if you can tailor the spacing to the width of the box/drawer... Additionally it permits you to have a full 1/2 tail at each edge giving more strength and better appearance. The nicer jigs, including the leigh superjig (but not the D4R) also permit single pass 1/2 blind dovetails if you want the uniformly spaced dovetails with a 10 deg bit.... so it just has more options. I concede... it is very expensive, by the time you get the jig, extra bits, and the vacuum attachment (which I do recommend)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dan lemkin; 01-14-2009 at 8:37 AM.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.