Thread: Workbench reconstruction and adaption

Workbench reconstruction and adaption

As I got such nice reactions to a my previous post of my new bench I could not resist to post a few more. Pictures of the bench you would not normally see. I made a full picture history of the construction - over 100 photo's. Here are just a few...

The original bench did not have the tail vise. After reading the 'The Workbench Book' I liked 'The Modern Hybrid' made by Michael Fortune so much I decided to adapt my old bench with some of his idea's.
    It took a lot of calculating and searching to get the construction right. The original bench was all Beech, the top was one big slabb. Time warpt it beyond repair. It had a drawer. And the bottom was glued together, mine is take-appart.
    (Original post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65334)

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Erik De Vocht; 01-13-2009 at 8:46 PM.

Looks like an outstanding build! Thanks for the extra pics.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Erik De Vocht View Post
    As I got such nice reactions to a my previous post of my new bench I could not resist to post a few more. Pictures of the bench you would not normally see. I hade a full picture history of the construction - over 100 photo's. Here are just a few

Enjoy!
    And some more.....
    It is made of Beech and Padouck.
    It took about 200 hours to make over a period of 20 weeks.
    The hardware is German (direct from the factory)
    Finishing is Danish Oil

Did you notice the bolt at the bottom of the vertical vise? It's there because you can fix a tapered object in the vise with the pressure over the full length. That means that the vise leg can move about half an inch either way. They sure knew how to make and use a bench in the old days...
    Last edited by Erik De Vocht; 01-13-2009 at 8:43 PM.

Eric,
    Looks like a nice and functional design, beautiful too. Is your tail vise made from a solid block of wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Pattee View Post
    Eric,
    Looks like a nice and functional design, beautiful too. Is your tail vise made from a solid block of wood?
    Here are some more secrets...
    The whole Padouck front is made of two pieces glued together (for the benchdogs) and cut at the the tail vice.
    How the tail vise fits together you can see on the photo's. The hollow side was cut with my bandsaw - look closely - and you will find the incision point glued together afterwards. The bench dogs cut with a router and jig, the rest with chissel and hammer. Lamellos and glue keep the thing together.
    It did take a very long time and a very detailed drawing to fit the mechanics to the wood so it would fit in three dimentions and still retain the maximum of the movement. You have to balance the position of the benchdogs with the strenth of the vise.
    The proof of the pouding is in... turning the vise all the way out and not have it move more then 1mm away or against the bench while the surface must remain level.
    The whole thing took about 40 hours of work.
    Last edited by Erik De Vocht; 01-14-2009 at 6:09 PM.

I really have to say, that of the many outstanding benches I've seen, this one really, really catches my eye. It's absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing more of the details in this thread.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great looking bench Erik. and I like the roubo style legs being flush with the top.

8. Nice work, Eric. The pivoting jaw on the leg vise is a nice innovation. I'd love to see how that works practically. The antique benches hiding behind your new one are also a treat. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Jameel Abraham View Post
    Nice work, Eric. The pivoting jaw on the leg vise is a nice innovation. I'd love to see how that works practically. The antique benches hiding behind your new one are also a treat. Congrats!
    Jameel,

The other benches.... well here is the truth: It is at the woodworking school that I made most of my bench. Why? because I did not have the big machines that you need to process all the big pieces. A 600mm planer was used to flatten the top of the bench. It took two men plus myself to get the beast through the machine.

Erik