Thread: Recession and sales

Recession and sales

I wood like to know if you guys are having less sales in volume and/or price of sale, with the recession being what it is. I am having trouble selling bowls over the l00 dollar range, and I like making big and art like bowls.

During this downturn, I would suggest making more, less costly bowls, and since you enjoy them, make a few large ones,too. That way, you can make sales and still have fun. There are still customers that will be willing to pay for the expensive stuff.

Remember, the first rule to turning is "HAVE FUN!"

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

For me it is fun, fun first and money last. I also have had a passion for wood, and turning it into nice things. Thanks

A couple of 2008 shows were better than 2007, but most were down from 2007 - at least that was my experience.

Business has not been good for me but that is probably due to the type of clients I had been targetting (pens for corporate customers to give away to their clients). I am using the time to work on other skills and will wait for the economy to bounce back. Probably also try to find a way to sell a little to co-workers and friends.
    Ben

I did some craft shows last fall and it wasn't good. I sold 5 times more at the Arts Gallery from the latter part of November thru December than I sold at all the craft shows together.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Around here it is really bad. The gallery that has most of my nicest turnings sold one piece during the Xmas season. They say everyone loves them but the price is too much. I am thinking of dropping the prices come spring.

Toney

I haven't done any sales - yet - but the president of our turning club is a regular on the local circuit. He recently told me that the last show (3 weeks before Christmas) was his best show yet. Was a 2 day show and he pulled in $500 the first day and $1000 on the second day. He focuses on turning very nice 'functional' bowls and uses walnut oil as his only finish. He has been doing this for a number of years now and has established quite the customer base. To the best of my knowledge all of his bowls are in the $75 to $200 price range.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    I (we) don't do this for major money, just to make some to put back into the shop and expenses type thing. I'll know in February how things are going at our first show for the year.
    Have a Nice Day!

Functional art

I did well in Dec with a little over $1000 in total sales. But it was a very diversified group of turnings. The ornaments were very hot for me along with the lidded boxes. Then came honey dippers and utility type bowls and pot pourri bowls with the pewter covers. I did a few hand carved signs too that were commisioned. Right now I have orders for music boxes and jewelry boxes along with more lidded boxes and antler pens. I think location has a lot to do with sales. In the town I live in the downtown area is being revitalized a great deal and there are lots of office and other businesses on the main drag. There are also 3 large congregation churches on the street. Eau Claire has a lot of clinics and hospitals so that means lots of Doctors, Lawyers and people who have money to spend. The people around here really like a quality product for a fair price and one turning never enough. I spent the day making miniatures as they are a steady money maker for me. Did have a little diversion as a friend who makes goose calls needed some more SKEW TRAINING so I spent an hour or so getting him comfortable with it! I loaded him up with wood and some tool making stuff and he went home to "Skew the day away!"

I am rambling again, so tomorrow back to spinning!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

My Christmas show was good, better than average. Had one $900 sale to a regular client. I have a show the weekend after this. That should tell me more. I hope to get some from the Christmas show who were buying presents and could not buy for themselves then.
    robo hippy