Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top down weather....

Top down weather....

My admiration goes out to all of you folks in the midwest. Sounds like the 'big chill'.

I moved from Cleveland as a kid, and long ago decided I am not tough enough to handle winters there anymore. As I write this, we are having an above normal week. It is 84 degrees, and was 56 degrees last night. It should be in the low 60's this time of year. Maybe we should drop top on the ol' Mustang and go to a drive in movie tonight.

I hope it blows over soon for you. Well, gotta go water my palm tree.

Rick Potter

PS: If this sounds too bragadocious, I apologize. I simply couldn't resist.

When I went to bed last night it was 11 below in Mid Michigan. Around 1:15 AM our power went out. I didn't catch it until around 2:10 AM. Got up dressed very warmly, hooked up our generator, clicked the switch over and stayed toasty for the rest of the night. The temperature outside was -16. The power came back on around 5:20 AM. I shut down the system and went back to bed.
    It was actually quite nice out, no wind, the stars were out, the moon was around 3/4 full (or waning, not sure which) and my nostrils were starting to stick together when I breathed. I did my tour of "Top Down Weather" in California, too much smog, etc for me. I will take the snow and cold anytime. Humidity on the other hand I can't stand. I might have to change my mind, I slipped and fell going down the steps after clearing the snow off of the deck and landed on the snow shovel in the middle of my back.
    David B

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    My admiration goes out to all of you folks in the midwest. Sounds like the 'big chill'.

I moved from Cleveland as a kid, and long ago decided I am not tough enough to handle winters there anymore. As I write this, we are having an above normal week. It is 84 degrees, and was 56 degrees last night. It should be in the low 60's this time of year. Maybe we should drop top on the ol' Mustang and go to a drive in movie tonight.

Rick Potter

Sure, rub it in -26° tonight here in Princeton Minnesota, only 110° difference
    Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post

Rick Potter

It hasn't toped 80 here in couple of weeks and I'm freezing.
    I lived in Pomona for about 15 years so know where you are.

Kurt,

You are in the same boat as I. Currently it is -13 I am expecting a pretty fun morning. I just got the drive way plowed out. It really wouldn't be so bad if the wind wasn't blowing like mad. I just came from worthington earlier today and it was real nasty there. But friday it all ends I am on my way to the balmy caribbean for some time.

Were going down to 40 tonight here in Florida but back up to 67 tomorrow!

I actually enjoy the cold weather. Even ride my motorcycle to work most days I can. Rode the other day at 26º F not counting the windchill at 60MPH.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well, since no one has said it yet, Rick - You Suck!

Here in Buffalo, it is a balmy 8 above, with a wind chill of -4. Balmy compared to some of you guys in MN.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Dennis,

Do you wear a full face helmet. I find if I drive when it is cooler like that I get ice cream headaches. So I have to have my forhead and my face covered. A couple of years ago I put 100 miles on a snowmobile one evening when the air temp was -19 and I was driving 60+ into that so who knows what the windchill was. It wasn't bad because I was dressed for it. But I will tell you when the temp gets below zero boy do the sleds make power then. You can really feel the difference. I posted earlier that it was -13. The air temp is -18 now and the wind is still howling weather.com says -42 below with wind chill. Barbados here I come.

Good ol' Minnesnowta

[quote=Paul Ryan;1019870.... I posted earlier that it was -13. The air temp is -18 now and the wind is still howling weather.com says -42 below with wind chill. Barbados here I come.[/quote]

I spent about a year and a half there. One stretch was around -30 or -40 and windy. I do remember the wind chill was a nice even -100F. I miss that like I miss having a social disease.

Current temp here is -20 with wind chills at -35 to -45.

All the schools in the area are closed down for the day.

-28 here in upper Michigan this morning. I'm going ice fishing, but I won't be spending too much time out of the truck!

We have warmed up a bit overnight, it is now -5 with an expected high of +4. Schools are having a delayed opening. So far we haven't had the wind in my part of Mid Michigan.
    David B

Wink

Whatever happened to ... GLOBAL WARMING?

Must be skipping my area

Woke up to -27F here this morning...they say with the effect of the wind it feels like -53F ...yes I think my face froze like this! Was prepared though and truck started without a problem.