Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top down weather....

I don't know how you guys stand the cold. We are finally getting cool here, for a day or so. High tomorrow is in the low 40s, low tomorrow night is 21. I finally get to build a fire! Hang in there, Spring is just around the corner!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

33ºF here at 0600. Supposed to get up to 44ºF today.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Belinda,
    Like every other place on the planet, us cold weather folks adjust and live with it. There are some inconveniences. We wonder how you tolerate the heat and humidity.
    Most of my family still live in California and feel the same way you do about the cold. I can put on more clothes if it is cold but in the heat and humidity you can only take off so much. I am retired so that makes all the difference in the world, I don't have to work in it. When I lived in the Sacramento area of California I would leave work in the 110 degree heat get in a car that was parked in a blacktop parking lot that was around 130 degrees and get in the car that was around the same temperature as the blacktop parking lot. Didn't have air conditioning at the time in the car or at home. Don't mind the cold at all.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Belinda,
    Like every other place on the planet, us cold weather folks adjust and live with it. There are some inconveniences. We wonder how you tolerate the heat and humidity.
    David,

In part, my aversion to really cold weather comes from two health issues. I have mild asthma and cold is one of my triggers. Below 45 or so and I start having issues with breathing. I also have a circulation problem with my hands and feet. When exposed to cold my vessels clamp down and my fingers and toes go numb. This actually happens when I get things out of the refrigerated case in the grocery store. Heat and humidity - not fun, but bearable. Thank goodness Savannah is a pretty laid back town. Most businesses allow employees to wear shorts to work in the summer. Lots of water in, lots of water out - life in the South.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    When its cold there are lots of ways to get warm. You can split wood to throw another log on the fire, snuggle up with sweety or get another dog. When it is hot, there is only so much you can take off without being arrested, sweety doesn't want you near her, you only feel like cutting some Z's not logs and the dog is sleeping in the shade and you can't stay in the pool forever.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    When its cold there are lots of ways to get warm. You can split wood to throw another log on the fire, snuggle up with sweety or get another dog. When it is hot, there is only so much you can take off without being arrested, sweety doesn't want you near her, you only feel like cutting some Z's not logs and the dog is sleeping in the shade and you can't stay in the pool forever.
    LOL . . . I'm not very good a splitting wood, sweety isn't a snuggler, my cat doesn't like dogs.

On the other hand, you can get pretty bare, sweaty sweeties are an acquired taste, naps under the AC - mmmmm good -, and you can stay in the pool for a good long time but you get pruny.

Bella Terra

Belinda,
    It was a balmy minus 5 here this morning, a nice little 7-10 NW breeze too. I'll be sitting in a tree stand at 2pm til dark as it's the last day of late season archery hunting here in MO.
    Can't say as I'll call it enjoyable, but I don't hate it by any means. See what growing up in Northern New England does to ya?

Belinda,
    That makes sense to me.
    I too have mild asthma and have to be careful when I am out in the real cold. I have to wear a scarf or dust mask over my face and that seems to help a lot. I have a 300 foot drive way and when I walk down to get the mail, if it is cold and I don't cover my face, I have to use the Albuterol when I get back to the house.
    I am amazed at how well I have adjusted to the snow and cold since leaving California. When living in Michigan as a kid I hated the cold with a passion, now I am very comfortable with it in most situations.
    I will admit that top down weather does sound great once in a while. The LOML is starting to get cabin fever and would like to migrate during the cold season. We have had quite a bit of snow on the ground since before Thanksgiving.
    David B

It's supposed to get cold here tonight, I'll have to remember to throw a bed sheet over the house plants on the patio so they don't freeze.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

Greg,

You still have a deer season this late? Or late archery if over at the end of december. I only hunt firearms and muzzleloader, so I was done mid december. It isn't so bad walking out to the stand but after about 1/2 hour to 1 hour then I start getting cold. And if the wind is blowing that makes it real rough. It was -28 here this morning and expecting the same tommarow morning. At this point it has warmed up to a balmy -9. My garage actually feels quite decent it is 0 in there. Tommarow at 5 I get out of here for a while. But It will be sun bathing weather here next week they are talking about highs in the upper 20's. I am hoping my buddy will fill up his pool. Stay warm everyone.

I'm another one that prefers cold over heat if your talking about extremes. I would much rather work outside all day in below zero temps than 100* temps. It is supposed to be -10 here tonight. I will be out in it at 6am tomorrow.

If you could pick and choose, the ideal temp to work in for me is 70 -75 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Lee has it right! I do feel sorry for the dogs when they venture out. They don't want to stay long and try to hold all four paws up at once. It's 6:30 in the evening with temp of -7 and wind chill of -23. Thought about burgers on the grill, but others wanted pizza.
    Last edited by Ron Jones near Indy; 01-15-2009 at 9:42 PM.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

It'll be -25*F tonight, it was -24*F this morning. The high today was -8*F. I hate Minnesota, I hate the cold. Hate is not even remotely an adequate word for my feelings on the subject.

Top down ouch...

Well, I decided to go top down today. I got out my old rat rod 55 T-Bird, and took it for a ride topless. Ahhh, the wind blowing in whats left of my hair, admiring looks from other motorists, wearing just a short sleeve T-shirt. The usual people asking what kind of car it is. Ford, sez I.

One bike rider yelled, 'Is that a Sunbeam Alpine?. Ford, sez I. Another asked if it was a Studebaker. Ford, sez I.

Remember when I apologised for possibly being too bragadocious? (Start of this string) Well, it came back to bite me. I stopped to get gas, basking in the glow of other peoples attention. Then...it wouldn't start. The ages old battery decided to go dead. Lots of not so admiring glances as I pushed it away from the pumps. A call to AAA, and I decided to head immediately home, while the old piece of junk was still running. The AAA driver asked what had happened? Ford sez I, trying to reject that transplanted Chebby motor.

Rick Potter

It must be karma for rubbing the warm weather in
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Well, I decided to go top down today. I got out my old rat rod 55 T-Bird, and took it for a ride topless. Ahhh, the wind blowing in whats left of my hair, admiring looks from other motorists, wearing just a short sleeve T-shirt. The usual people asking what kind of car it is. Ford, sez I.

One bike rider yelled, 'Is that a Sunbeam Alpine?. Ford, sez I. Another asked if it was a Studebaker. Ford, sez I.

Remember when I apologised for possibly being too bragadocious? (Start of this string) Well, it came back to bite me. I stopped to get gas, basking in the glow of other peoples attention. Then...it wouldn't start. The ages old battery decided to go dead. Lots of not so admiring glances as I pushed it away from the pumps. A call to AAA, and I decided to head immediately home, while the old piece of junk was still running. The AAA driver asked what had happened? Ford sez I, trying to reject that transplanted Chebby motor.

Rick Potter
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.