Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/8" drywall for shop walls/ceiling

3/8" drywall for shop walls/ceiling

i was considering putting 7/16" OSB up for my walls and ceilings but i found 3/8" drywall for half the price. what do you guys think would be best? budget is of course my main concern

3/8" sheetrock? Do you maybe mean 5/8"? That's pretty much the norm for ceilings here. Rockers say the 1/2" stuff sags. 3/8", I'd imagine, would be even worse. But of course, this is a shop, not a formal dining room.

Comparing rock to OSB, rock has an edge in fire resistance.

no its 3/8"

i wonder why it would sag if you have it screwed up properly? it surely wouldnt sag on the walls. and even if it did on the ceiling, it wouldnt matter to me. i just need something to cover up the insulation. i would use cheap 70s wood grain paneling if i had some lol

i dont plan on finishing it, just screw it in place and call it good

I would go with 1/2" rather than 3/8" or I would go with 7/16" OSB. I have used 3/8' and 1/4" Sheetrock when capping other surface material that was solid but unattractive. You can probably get by with 3/8" on the walls but unless the ceiling is 16" on centers I wouldn't use it myself.
    David B

Besides sags as said by others, you will likely find it will be rather EZ to damage. use 1/2" or better yet 5/8" drywall, OSB is ugly & it stinks (as in malodorous).

Depending on the joists spacing, whatever you save by installing 3/8" you will likely loose because the thinner the drywall the harder it is to install it, especially on the ceiling.

1/2" will be just fine even with 24" joists spacing but in many jurisdictions garage ceilings require 5/8" due to fire regulations.

3/8" is easily broken. If you put it on your ceiling you better have support on both ends and near the center while securing it. You will get sags between points of contact on anything greater than 16" O.C.

Typically 3/8" is more expensive than 1/2".

Also, keep in mind that the stud tabs on the side of electrical work boxes are designed for 1/2" drywall. Your boxes may stick out beyond the 3/8" drywall.

Dont use it!! 3/8" gyp is so flimsy that if you lean on the wall it might break... the only legit use that i see for 3/8" gyp is an overlay on top of existing gyp/plaster that is too far gone to repair.

I would say go with the osb. more opportunities for future hanging stuff on your walls. but if your going to go gyp, i would say do 5/8" but at the very least do 1/2".

Cheers,
    Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Mike,
    A few reasons have been mentioned here for the value of 1/2" over 3/8"...for the ceilings you really would benefit with a minimum 1/2" sag resistant rock (certainly for 24" OC spacing) The space that will eventually open up with 3/8" would surprise you. If there is any fire code that has to be met then yes 5/8" is the only way to go...not sure if this a consideration for your space. On the walls you could get by on the cheap(which is OK!) and place 3/8" just realize there is far less strength behind it...a lot less and you might/will have issues if you plan to hang anything off the drywall other than hitting a stud.
    Good luck with the project and send along some picts, too.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Mann View Post

Typically 3/8" is more expensive than 1/2".
    1/2" is $5.97 a sheet and 3/8" is $6.64 for 2 sheets here at the lowes, not sure if HD carries it

thanks everyone for the advice

would 7/16" OSB sag on a ceiling with 24" OC spacing?

Drywall pros: fire resistant; sound absorbent; easier to paint white which can improve lighting.

OSB/Plywood pros: Can take a beating; ability to 'hang stuff' anywhere on it.

If it were me - just because I have a basement shop - I'd use drywall - the thickest available, and I'd even add an air gap between the joists and the rock so's to minimize sound travel to the upstairs. Drywall (especially in a shop) is easy enough to repair if you even care to. Much easier to paint white too, which is key for me.

Personally, I tend to recommend 5/8" fire-rated gyp board for shop space due to the fire rating but also due to the abuse resistance of the material. It is amazing how much more that little 1/8" makes over 1/2" gyp board - 3/8" can be cracked by leaning against it and is usually installed in a double layer with joints staggered.

Greetings & Salutations,

I vote for the OSB. That is what I used in my shop and I have no sag problems on the ceiling. I painted it white to aid in the brightness as I do not have any windows. It also allows me to not have to worry about screwing light weight items to the wall as it gives a good anchor for screws.

If I have something heavy I do make sure I find a stud.

I haven't priced the OSB for a while but the last time I was at Lowe's it was $4.99 a sheet which is down some.

Gene
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.

Mike,

I put 1/2 plywood on the walls of my shop and 5/8" sheetrock on the ceiling. The only reason I went with sheetrock on the ceiling was cost. I wish I'd have put plywood on the ceiling too! I already have "dings" in it and I have 10' ceilings.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If you use drywall make sure it isn't made in China! We have a major problem here in Florida with Chinese drywall. My neighbor had to move out of his house because the drywall was making his family sick. It also corrodes any metal pipes. This stuff was made in China by a German company and has very little markings on it. The first sign is the smell of sulphur!